chewbacca vs. wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnTalbot

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi all, did a search and hadn't found this topic covered, so here goes...

Am completely new to diving and looking to buy my first wetsuit, yea!!! However, two issues worry me, i'm as hairy as chewbacca, both front and back and sides; and according to the Henderson charts i'm a 2 or 3xl but with the height of a lg, i heart weight rooms :).

So will the body hair hurt like a mojo when i get in/out of suit? Any suggested remedies if so? Would like a full suit for protection from scrapes, critters, etc, but am worried with the height issue about needing a custom suit. Also will be diving in either roatan(?) or utila (thats another cola war post :) so a half suit or vest would be nice for warmer water and shoulder freedom of movement, and hopefully avoiding the extra leg room id have with an off the rack suit.

Love the henderson stretch idea but if i could avoid the price with another option, i'd be open to it.

Any help/advice would be appreciated by post or PM.

Thanks.

JohnTalbot:
Hi all, did a search and hadn't found this topic covered, so here goes...

Am completely new to diving and looking to buy my first wetsuit, yea!!! However, two issues worry me, i'm as hairy as chewbacca, both front and back and sides; and according to the Henderson charts i'm a 2 or 3xl but with the height of a lg, i heart weight rooms :).

So will the body hair hurt like a mojo when i get in/out of suit? Any suggested remedies if so? Would like a full suit for protection from scrapes, critters, etc, but am worried with the height issue about needing a custom suit. Also will be diving in either roatan(?) or utila (thats another cola war post :) so a half suit or vest would be nice for warmer water and shoulder freedom of movement, and hopefully avoiding the extra leg room id have with an off the rack suit.

Love the henderson stretch idea but if i could avoid the price with another option, i'd be open to it.

Any help/advice would be appreciated by post or PM.

Thanks.
john, first off i want to recamend a dive skin, this is one of the best investments i have made in my dive gear, its a lacra (like nylon) suit that goes under your wet suit and will stop any hair pulling and your wet suit will slip on and off like butter , it makes it all so easy, wet suit i dont know as i have been diving all cold water in ca, and use an excell one piece!!

I don't think you will have any problem at all.

jim ernst:
john, first off i want to recamend a dive skin, this is one of the best investments i have made in my dive gear, its a lacra (like nylon) suit that goes under your wet suit and will stop any hair pulling and your wet suit will slip on and off like butter , it makes it all so easy, wet suit i dont know as i have been diving all cold water in ca, and use an excell one piece!!

that sounds like a good idea, i think i saw them on the scuba-toys site, and thought that might help, glad you could confirm that for me, appreciate it big time.

ScubaSarus:
I don't think you will have any problem at all.

thanks, glad to hear i wont be doing a diy waxing each time i get in/out of the suit.

JohnTalbot:
thanks, glad to hear i wont be doing a diy waxing each time i get in/out of the suit.

My wetsuit is a very snug fit and I do tend to rip the hair off of my arms when I put on the suit. My back, chest, and legs are not a problem. A lycra skin would probably help, but I have never tried one under my wetsuit.

I have never had my hair ripped out when removing my wet suit because I just go ahead and roll the suit inside out when I remove it. You might need help pulling your hands and feet out but that is about it. Don't try to slide out of your wet suit like you remove regular clothing, if the suit is tight enough to insulate you properly in the water it will be too tight to remove like normal clothing.

Mark Vlahos

Back
Top Bottom