checking up on your buddy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to have a regular buddy who had the bad habit of slipping a little behind and above me as we dived. He felt very comfortable there because he could keep an eye on me so easily. On the other hand, I developed a quite literal pain in the neck from trying to find him constantly. After a talk, we reached the point that we stayed where we could easily see each other with a glance any time we wanted.

If you are in a situation where you are diving with lights, your dive light can make things very easy for you, especially if you are in a single file situation. If one diver is the lead diver, he or she should make sure the light is usually in a place where the following diver can see it. The following diver then makes sure to pass his or her light beam just below (or next to) that beam every 20 seconds or so. that says, "I'm here, and I'm OK." If the lead diver senses that it has been too long since that signal was seen, covering the light with the hand not only allows the other diver's light to be seen, it reminds the other diver to show the light. If you are not in a lead/follow situation, each diver should make sure to play the light beam near the buddy's light regularly.

GratefulDiver: Let me re-phrase it. It solves the problem for ME. Since I treat every dive as a solo dive and I don't want to be responsible for another diver's safety and the fact that if the buddy got into trouble I probably couldn't help him out physically anyway since it's all I can do to take care of myself, he'd be pretty much on his own. How's that? The only problem I would worry about for myself would be a problem getting air in case of a catastrophic failure but I figure I can get to someone to get some air if they aren't too far away, buddy or no buddy. Otherwise, someone is going to get one heck of an inheritance.

GratefulDiver: Let me re-phrase it. It solves the problem for ME. Since I treat every dive as a solo dive and I don't want to be responsible for another diver's safety and the fact that if the buddy got into trouble I probably couldn't help him out physically anyway since it's all I can do to take care of myself, he'd be pretty much on his own. How's that? The only problem I would worry about for myself would be a problem getting air in case of a catastrophic failure but I figure I can get to someone to get some air if they aren't too far away, buddy or no buddy. Otherwise, someone is going to get one heck of an inheritance.

But that was my point ... you're both better off not diving together. You shouldn't agree to buddy with someone unless you're willing and able to carry out your responsibility as a dive buddy. "Buddy" is a mutual relationship.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nope. You are not paranoid.

I am constantly checking my air and computer, and my dive buddy. I am sure it drives some of em a little crazy. On a trip to Utila, one of my Instructor friends said she noticed I was always checking air and stuff. I was flattered and was impressed that she was watching me and others in the group.

Dave T mentioned "situational awareness". A good phrase and an apt description of a quality of an "engaged" diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom