check your old tanks!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I'm not sure what spring in Oz has to do with it, but 6351 tanks being prone to sustained load cracking is pretty old news.

The issues with the 6351 alloy is why those tanks must have an eddy current test (Viz Plus) before they can be filled. I have a tank that is one of those old tanks. If it fails the eddy current test, it becomes a lamp.

You ever hear of trickle down economics, well this is trickle down news...

I have a couple buddies using those old tanks, and I've used them myself. As long as it passes vis and hydro it's ok in my book, but many shops will not fill them regardless of when it was last tested.

I'd bet this tank that went up had not been inspected in a long time and probably setting in a shed also meant it had corrosion issues to boot. Of course the article didn't say.

MSilvia:
I'm not sure what spring in Oz has to do with it, but 6351 tanks being prone to sustained load cracking is pretty old news.

In spring you would be in the shed getting ready to garden...

Yes, very old news indeed, however every day there are new members of the board that may not be so aware. This is a recent incident and those are always fun to read anyhow when nobody is hurt.

Back
Top Bottom