Check This Out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone is interested in this. Glycerin and myself have signed up for it in April. Reef Check is a world wide conservation organization. They are having a cool training class in Santa Barbara and one in Los Angeles. They are only excepting 8 for each class. One weekend is pool and classroom, and the next is a three day liveaboard at Catalina. If you get excepted, they only require $50 ($25 for membership, and $25 for a NAUI or PADI cert card). Here is the link:

http://www.reefcheck.org/index.asp

Click on the sheephead picture

Oh Yea, if you apply, tell them Rick Parizo referred you.

OK Rick, I applied:

I'm teaching an undergraduate course with a lot of climate change and other science with environmental impact this semester. Sounds like a way to practice what I preach. My understanding is that warming in the gulf could take out most coral reefs in the next few years. California has other, more immediate challenges. Hope they take me.

Jim

savemoneydiving:
cool! I want to help save coral reefs! but pitty training class are in Santa Barbara and in Los Angeles only ? anywhere eles in the world ?

Thier main HQ is here in SoCal. I am sure they do training elsewhere. They are pretty active in the rest of the world. They are just starting up operations here.

I was accepted and I've paid.

Jim

The April casses in LA and SB are going to go on the same boat out of Ventura (Explorer) on the same weekend, so we will all be together for that.

I just noticed they also have classes in San Luis Obispo and Monterey for anyone in these areas.

Rick:

Do you know anything about the in-ocean training? I'm sure we we will be learning to perform transects to quantfy various marine life, but what does that translate into as far as dives (number type, etc.)? Sounds like there will be 20 students and a number of instructors.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom