Check equipment after they fall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lifes an ocean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This is my first Boat dive, and the second dive of the day. I was getting my tank ready for the second dive, and turned away for a quick second and didn't resecure my tank. Well PVT Murphy was on the boat that day and sure enough a small wave came and but enough angle and movement on teh boat to tip the tank over. It hit the side of the seat adn I put it back up on the seat and secured. I thought I heard air seep out, so I checked it over with a quick glance and noticed nothing off. I continued to gear up and do my predive checks adn everything was fine. I was getting up adn walking to the dump point and than it happened, a loud wooosh of air. My main air line was cut, and I was loosing all my air. Lucky for me the Dive Master had an extra octopus, and I was able to go on my dive after the switch out.

I looked at my line afterwards and noticed that it was cut to where as long as it wasn't bent a particular way it was fine, but soon as it bent that one way it would open up and let all my air out. I count my blessings because had taht happened at depth I could of been royal screwed. So lesson learned. Check everything thoroughly after something happens.

and turned away for a quick second and didn't resecure my tank.

Thanks for the reminder. During our first pool session, the instructor said if anyone turned their back/walked away from a unsecured tank, the gear was going to the bottom of the deep end! She never made good on the threat, but I learned the lesson. Now if I could just stop putting my mask on my forehead.:dork2:

Ben

My buddy just learned a similar lesson. We were diving off my pontoon boat. I have a table set-up to hoist the gear up on so it is easier to get in to. He put his up and turned for just a sceond, done it went right on the 1st stage. It blow the o-ring out, bent the inner ring on the tank that the inside of the o-ring sits on and loosened the nut that holds the yoke to the 1st stage. Hw took it to an authorized Apeks dealer, explained what happened and left the regs. They called him on his cell 1/2 hour later telling him it is all fixed and set to go. I have not seen the reg yet but I suspect they did not check it over completely. I am not a reg tech but have done a ton of mechanical work. When a nut gets jambed off the threads there is more wrong then a simple tightening back is going to fix. I have a feeling the threads are damaged also.

So, yes, secure the tank or lay it down even if it is only for a second. Crap happens.

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom