Cheapish Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lambster:
My Girlfriend and I are flying into Puerto Rico from Sweden in October. We are keen to do some diving either on PR or Dominican Republic or somewhere else nearby. But the problem is that we have not got a lot of $$$. Can anybody recommend a place where the diving is pretty good in October and the accommodation and diving do not cost too much..

From the other posts i have got an idea of where the "best best" places are. Caymans and Bonaire etc but they seem to be pretty expensive...

Any recommendations would be appreciated...........
if you tell us how much you mean by "do not cost too much" people would have a better idea of what to suggest.

Yo,
lambster here.. Thanks for all the great posts guys. I think i need to give you a bit more info. The reason we are flying into Puerto Rico is that we have dm jobs in BVI to go to starting in November and the easiest way to get there is to get a flight from Puerto Rico.

We were hoping to do a bit of diving before we started work..

We looked at flights going to the Bay Islands and then back to BVI but it was just to expensive... Bit of a shame really as the Bay Islands looked great..

If we can get flights to Bonaire for around $300 as someone said it could be a gd option.

On the question of how much we can spend... $500 US a week would definitely be our max..

Does anybody know another good way to get to BVI from Europe instead of going through Puerto Rico???

lambster,
welcome to this board.
what kind of dm jobs are y'all going for?
on a yacht?
at a resort?
for an op?

when we go to the bvi's, we always charter a crewed private yacht.
it's a great way to check out the different islands when all you have is a week.

good luck to all of your endeavors.
regards,

lambster:
I think i need to give you a bit more info. The reason we are flying into Puerto Rico is that we have dm jobs in BVI to go to starting in November and the easiest way to get there is to get a flight from Puerto Rico.

Does anybody know another good way to get to BVI from Europe instead of going through Puerto Rico???

Maybe through Miami, New York, Atlanta ?

Your post is still a little vague. How much money, in total, will you have to spend on air + whatver else... for 1 week "diving ? First, you have to tell us what exactly is your "starting point" or "gateway city" on this side of the Atlantic.

I like your understanding of your situation. You wanted to get in some diving before DM job. Shows a good grasp of the reality of the dive industry! I would make it two weeks !

One thought on this, fly directly to Bonaire from Amsterdam on KLM. After some time enjoying the great shore diving on Bonaire catch a flight to San Juan then on to BVIs.

To clarify for you the cost of dives on Utila are as follows;
1 to 9 tanks at $22.50 per tank
10 plus $20 per tank, can be shared between two or more people
These are prices for most dive shops, not resorts.
Hope this helps
Simon

Back
Top Bottom