Cheap underwater metal dector

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacksambellamy:
Are you using a scoop?

I use a plastic scoop so the detector wont go crazy. I am also over weighted and crawl on the bottom. Yes the Viz will get bad at times but you just have to wait for it to settle. Push the scoop into the sand slow. Its the excited thrusts into the sand that begin to push you away from the hole. I also have my scoop on a string and attached to my BC so i can let go of it. Try fanning the sand also a scoop isn't always necessary

Thanks for the tips! I have a few sites in mind where this thing might come in handy.

Here's some info I received thru an inquiry sent to our club's website. I know nothing of the company, but thought I'd pass the info along.

"Would like to let members know that we carry re-furbished underwater diving metal detectors that come with warrenty and owner manuels at a very low prices from $200 to $500 (orginal cost $1000.)for those interested in adding a little Treasure hunting to their underwater adventures. East Texas Metal Detectors, Gilmer, TX. 903-734-7773 Email: kwills@etex.net "

Thanks for the suggestions... I think I might try to dive the site first like what was suggested.

By doing so, I can gage the current, gage the silt level, which I know will be extremly high and heavy and gage the depth.

I'll let you know what I find, if anything.

I know nothing about metal detectors but what their name implies. At Table Rock Lake in MO we use to train there. I would see someone walking the shore by the swimming areas and sometimes come up with rings, watches etc.. I always wondered if you use the metal detector under water you might hit on things after a huge weekend such as the 4th of July. Has anyone done this? Anyone do good? Is it fun and will the investment and the travel/lodging pay for itself? I'd like too get the scoop.

I dont know if this helps. But I have had several underwater detectors, Some of the cheapo ones on ebay like the cobra beach magenet, And the venom, I then bought a top of the line excalibur wich I loved. I mostly dive for jewlery at swiming holes. Around the 20 tp 25 foot mark. I know have a C-Scope 7 PI That I have only used a few times. It is hard to use underwater detectors that is for sure. But I did notice that everytime I found something it was only a few inches deep. So I bought the Vibra Tector 720 Online it is 119 US Dollars and comes with a mesh diving bag for our goodies. It is small handheld with the 4 inch coil it vibrates. Runs off 1 9V battery and works rather good. I have found several gold rings with it and usally only use this now. I have a plastic scoop and I go to town. The only bad part is that it is only good to 30 feet. Wich is fine for me because I am always in the 25 foot or less range. That is a good cheap detector.

Here is where I got mine.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/vibra/vibra-tector-720.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom