Cheap Travel for Singles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Ron...

I'm in a similar situation... I don't have a built in buddy and I look to do warm water trips -- 3 - 6 times a year depenidng on budget.

One comment for you.. CocoView on Roatan has a solo option, where they will set you up with a same sex roommate at no extra charge. I've actually booked with them for next month. It has happened that a woman I know has also booked, so I'll end up with a roommate I know. On my last trip I was chatting with a gentleman who said that he had done the solo thing there several times and had always had good experiences.

If your wife wouldn't mind you traveling with a female dive buddy, let me know where you would like to go, maybe we can coordinate schedules.

Liz

I'm also a single diver and recently did my first solo trip to Belize. I paid $40 a night for an ac room, and got a great rate with Island Divers. Did the Blue Hole, and had some unbelievable encounters with sharks and dolphins. I ended up making some great instabuddy friends, and we hooked up most days after diving for a few drinks and a meal. Would really recommend it...

My next trip is in December for 2 weeks and am trying to decide between Roatan, Philippines, or Aruba. Any advice would be also appreciated...

I'm also a single diver and recently did my first solo trip to Belize. I paid $40 a night for an ac room, and got a great rate with Island Divers. Did the Blue Hole, and had some unbelievable encounters with sharks and dolphins. I ended up making some great instabuddy friends, and we hooked up most days after diving for a few drinks and a meal. Would really recommend it...

My next trip is in December for 2 weeks and am trying to decide between Roatan, Philippines, or Aruba. Any advice would be also appreciated...

I haven't been to Roatan or Aruba but I have been to the Philippines and LOVED IT!!! The airfare from Toronto will probably be more than flying to the Caribbean but once there I reckon you'll find the Philippines to be far cheaper.

Ron, I'm in a similar situation. In my 50s, do a lot of solo traveling and have no interest in the young and love to party singles crowd. I just got back from a fantastic 2 week dive trip to Curacao. Some of the best Caribbean diving I've ever done, incredibly cost effective, no problem finding dive buddies.

I stayed on the east end of the island for a few days (Willemstad area) and used THE DIVE BUS. Then I spent 10 days on the west end of the island (Westpunt) and booked a package deal with All West Apartments and Ocean Encounters West. My price for a studio apartment (sleeps 2 w/ fully equipped kitchenette, porch and balcony facing the ocean), plus rental car, plus 6-2tank boat dives and unlimited shore dives came out to $150 day! That's right, $150/day for apartment, car and dives. Best part about this is that there's plenty of other activities for a non-diving spouse as well. Check it out and all the best.

(By the way, I've looked at the SingleDivers.com website. My impression is that they're relatively young and love to party. I'm 61, and don't.)
Ron
Having dealt with SingleDivers as a dive company I can assure you that you will fit in just fine, not sure where you get the idea that they are all young and like to party, I saw quite the contrary :wink:

Back
Top Bottom