Cheap Stinky Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used one of these last summer with a Minolta Dimage 7. All I can say is stay away. I brought it down to 71 feet, and at that depth it was not usable at all. It was "usable" up until 50 feet. Beyond that it essentially started to crush the zoom on my camera, pushing it back. Of course, changing the zoom was all but impossible, and ended up doing more damage to my camera than it's worth. The case ended up seriously hurting the zoom on my camera, essentially breaking it - and not because of the 71' dive, but because of some 20 and 30 feet dives (about 4 of them) at the Great Barrier reef, by the end of those the zoom lens wouldn't go in and out.

This was all with a correctly configured setup according to the manuf instructions. I never had any problems with any water damage, or fogging though, fwiw.

I believe thier small 35mm case would actually be ideal for snorkeling and small digital cameras, down to a few dozen feet. But once you hit 40-50 feet, the bag compresses so much that it's virtually impossible to press any buttons or make any configuration changes. Also, the plastic itself even at sealevel makes it virtually impossible to make significant changes accurately.

All that said - while floating over reefs at a few feet snorkeling the bag "worked' so to speak, and I could get some decent shots, but all without adjusting any zoom settings/other settings.

Long story short, don't waste your money - or risk hurting your camera, because you probably will do both. Btw, luckily since I didn't sustain any water damage to my Minolta Dimage 7, it was still covered under warranty - all $220 in Damage to the zoom tube.

I now have the A70 with it's appropriate case and YS90DX and am quite happy as we speak :)

Actually I saw it in the store today and decided NO way! Looks too hard to control as others have said, wouldn't fit my wide angle lense, and I just don't trust it.

I guess I'll just have to bithc and moan and cry and wait for the Ikelite!

Back
Top Bottom