Cheap setup for GPH3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning a trip to Mozambique later this year. Heard the marine life is fabulous there so I have decided to buy a Gopro Hero3 Black Edition.

I have read some threads about filters and lights but I don't know what to buy. Everything is so expensive and I am only diving one week a year. No night or wreck dives just open water. I don't have money to buy Sola lights so what would you recommend instead?

Do I need both lights and filter? If so, tell me what I should buy :)

/Filip

Last edited:
I've been researching the same thing. Very disapointed to find out that while some charge around 80 bucks for a filter there are mako 3 $ plastic films that are supposed to work well. On my case so far I've been editing on aftereffects I will post a picture for you to see
u8upuny5.jpg

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

Filters are absolutely the best thing to add. You can buy red filter material for cheap. Finding a way to mount it well is the only hard part. As for lights, you can get two cheap lights off of eBay (rated at 1800lm, actually at 1000lm) for $37 a piece. They're pretty good, but don't expect super high quality. If you get those, they're pretty spot-lighty. To fix that, you can spray the reflectors white, remove the reflectors, add a dissipation filter onto the front of the lens, or do a few other mods that will open the beam up. Use the lights for closer stuff, the filter for farther stuff.

Filters are absolutely the best thing to add. You can buy red filter material for cheap. Finding a way to mount it well is the only hard part. As for lights, you can get two cheap lights off of eBay (rated at 1800lm, actually at 1000lm) for $37 a piece. They're pretty good, but don't expect super high quality. If you get those, they're pretty spot-lighty. To fix that, you can spray the reflectors white, remove the reflectors, add a dissipation filter onto the front of the lens, or do a few other mods that will open the beam up. Use the lights for closer stuff, the filter for farther stuff.
Yeah, what lights are you talking about. Your link just goes to ebay, not to any item.

I don't have a link, but if you go to eBay and type in "scuba light" you get a whole bunch claiming to be 1800lm with an XM-L emitter. They're all pretty much the same in terms of light output (1000lm) because they've all got the same emitter running off very similar drivers with the same power source. Mine have a bunch of different "settings" like 5 power settings, 3 flash rates, an SOS, and a strobe. I'd MUCH prefer Low, Medium, High and not have to worry about anything else...but oh, well.

Hi Filip,

If you are not diving any deeper than 75 feet you shouldn't need lights. A Red Filter will do the trick just fine as long as you are in tropical
blue water. There are a bunch of Red Filters on the market. We have a solid Red Glass Filter for the hero3 which is only $29.99 and it snaps on and off very easily.

There are also a few other designs from other companies if you prefer those, they are a bit more expensive.

Let us know if you have any other questions and have a great trip!
http://www.polarprofilters.com/shop/goprohero3redfilter-2/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom