Cheap hotel in Georgetown, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoopers Bay Hotel is $128/night and it's for a Villa...fits four ppl.

Soo if anyone is going on the Blackbeard's Hogsty trip (July 25 - 8/3) and wants to split this place for a few nights before and after, it would be REALLY cheap.

Bahama Cottages for Rent

Here is my email: Sparg93@aol.com

I wish you luck- there is nothing cheap in Georgetown, and most of the time there is nothing, period. There is the venerable Peace & Plenty hotel, which is rather pricey in my opinion, but is fairly clean. We didn't find much else in accomodation, at least not much that was open. A lot of stuff was closed down for some reason, and I suppose that it is no better now... (We were there twice in 2008, and had sense enough to rig the second trip to only minimal time on shore before boarding our liveaboard.:wink:) Food is not much better. Again, you have the Peace & Plenty restaurant, which is fair but pricey. Not much else in town, except for a big bar/restaurant/local hangout in the middle of town, about which the less said the better:shakehead:. If you are gonna stay a day or two, I strongly suggest you rent a car and get out of town. There is a nice little roadhouse out on the west road a few miles out of town which had pretty good food at reasonable prices, but if you are thinking of this, without a car you will be sunk as it is way too far to walk. In general though, food was not a real attractive option down there.
Now, if you happen to be there during Regatta, (as we were on the second trip) all this changes. Prices are still pretty stiff, but everything opens up, and a lot of stuff that wasn't even there before magically appears. At least you have choices during this festival, especially when it comes to booze. (Virtually every stall and stand that we saw open had a shelf of liquor and was doing bar business. Even the souvenier shops!) I don't know if other festivals produce the same behavior, as I only had experience with this one. I don't think they are too common, however, and in between them- moribund. My 2 psi, for what that is worth. Woody

Hoopers Bay Hotel is $128/night and it's for a Villa...fits four ppl.

Didn't even notice this one when we were there- wonder where it is? A lot of stuff is way out on the western road...Woody

My wife insisted that I mention the nice restaurant and resort out on Stocking Island, across the harbor from Georgetown. Very nice, and much better food than in town, but priced accordingly, naturally. Only problem is, you can't get there except by water taxi. Our liveaboard arranged all this for us for our last dinner in port, or I never even would have known it was out there. (Hearts of palm salad, etc...) Caters to the yachting set, I guess. Woody

Hmm..maybe I'll grab a fishing pole and hunt for food (jk) b/c it sounds kind of sparse..thanks for the heads up though!!

It turns out that at $128/night, you have to rent for 7days min!! So, I spoke with the woman and she connected me with another diver on Blackbeard's and we split the villa...instead of 7 days straight, we took three before the liveaboard and two after and split the price...so it worked out really well.

Peace-N-Plenty is a clean and relaxed place to stay in Georgetown, Exuma. If you are coming by boat, it is located right on the harborside. There is a pool, restaurant and free internet access. The drinks are always cold and delivered to you by the famous bartender named Lermon. Please be sure to tell him and Neville the manager that I said "hello". Diver down, Terra

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom