Cheap diving options for PNG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outpost31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm looking to do my first (of many) PNG trip this year, end of march/beginning of april, single diver, want to see both big stuff and little critters, 7-10 days (probably 7 as £ is tight), either land based or liveaboard (probably liveaboard as i'll get more dives), thinking of going to Milne bay. Money is tight, can only afford about £1300/US$2000!

Does anyone know of any deals that would suit me and my meager budget? Is there a cheaper place in PNG to start with than Milne bay? Can anyone recommend a travel agency that offers good deals?

Or am I just being wildly optimistic?
Thanks for your help!

Chris

I'm not sure what is cost to fly from the UK to PNG but it's well over $2000 from the east coast of the US. I think it may be the most expensive diving destination as far as getting there is concerned. I highly doubt you'll find room, food, diving and transportation for anything close to your budget. I hope someone else chimes in however and proves me wrong. There are some great live aboard bargains over there these days but getting there is the problem.

If this amount does not include your airfare, I would check with Peter Hughes. They have huge sales going on with their Star Dancer Liveaboard in PNG right now. The promotional email I received is at the office - but I thought it was $2100 for 8 nights (for the next couple months). Of course a tip on top of that should be factored in.

Worth looking into... Peter Hughes Diving - Live-Aboard Excellence to World Class Dive Destinations - So I just looked at the website and the specials they show are higher than what I received - maybe you should drop them a line. Or sign up for their emails and see what you get. Sorry I don't have the exact info in front of me - I will on Monday.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I should have said, I'll be flying in from Brisbane not the UK, my budget is for diving, accom, food and flights from Bris. Thanks Where2Next, I'll have a butchers at Peter hughes.

hI Outpost,
Flights from Brisbane can be really cheap, I have flown Brisbane/Port Morseby for less than $500 return. check out Air Nuigini or PNG airlines. Inregards to places other than Milne Bay,can suggest Madang for some fine diving.
Madang Resort Papua New Guinea - Hotel This resort has a dive shop and offers deals on accommodation and package dives.

I don't feel $2000 will do it, more like $3000.
Getting onto a package with someone is a really good option.
East Coast Diver LLC Home These guys have a tour going in September which sounds great and is good value.

Papua New Guinea - Dive Papua New Guinea (PNG) - Scuba Dive PNG, Dive Adventures this is another website you may wish to have a look at.

I think PNG will too expensive, I'm going to look at Bali instead.
Thank you everyone for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom