Cheap diving in SE Asia in Dec/Jan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I am currently planning a short dive trip for the first week of January, around 5-6 days (from Hong Kong). My boyfriend and I are originally planning to do a LOB in the Similan until we invited 2 of his friends to come. They have never dove before and they would like to try it out. I don't want them to blow lots of money and then realize that they hate it, so I am trying to keep the cost down for the trip. Also I want to pick a place where there are a number of land activities to do so in case they hate diving we can do something else. We need to factor in flight cost too from HK (otherwise I would love to go to a more remote destination). I am considering Phuket or Bali right now. I am leaning towards Bali right now since it's a new destination (I have been to Phuket once last year and boyfriend been there twice last year), however it will be rainy season in Bali and ocean is rough in Dec/Jan? How rough will it be? And what will the dive viz be like? If it's going to be bad (less than 30 feet) then we'll drop the Bali idea and reconsider Thailand. Also how are diving sites there comparing to Caribbean (my only dive experience is Caymans and Belize)?

If there are any other cheap destination that you think is better than the above 2 pls let me know too!

Thanks!

Sharka:
And what will the dive viz be like? If it's going to be bad (less than 30 feet) then we'll drop the Bali idea and reconsider Thailand. Also how are diving sites there comparing to Caribbean (my only dive experience is Caymans and Belize)?
In most regular dive sites in South East Asia (Bali & Similans included), you will see the same number of fish in 30 foot viz as you would in Cayman or Belize with 100 foot viz, IMHO, YMMV.

I agree with Zippsy, you'll see more on the average dive in Asia than the Caribbean - aquatic life just more diverse there. I haven't been to Phuket, but have been to Bali. You can dive Bali anytime of the year, although the best time (dry season, best vis) is May-September. I looked up several dive sites - vis is still at least 40-50ft in rainy season in Bali. I don't know your budget, but you might want to look up Tauch Terminal in Tulamben - located right on the shore of the famous wreck. They have reasonable prices for diving (compared to the US, and Caribbean) and room rates start at US$64 (Euro50). I consider Tulamben area much safer (fewer tourists) than other more well-known places like Kuta and even Ubud. I believe the resort has vehicles to take non-divers for sightseeing/shopping on Bali. If your group of 4 is willing to pay around US$180 per night for lodging in a 2 room villa, I know one in the Singaraja area (about 15 mins' drive from Tulamben), which is superb. It's called villa Agung Bali Nurwana.
Have a good trip and Dive safely.

From what I hear, Bali is quiet at the moment, even in the high season. So in the low season there it may be very quiet, which could be what you're looking for or just a bit too much.

Regarding the seasons: IMO, the diving is best here in the low season: less divers, vis about the same, more marine life, less boat traffic, so I would not cancel out Bali just because it is the low season there.

Thanks for all of your sugguestions. I think we are set on Bali. One more question - if we sign up the newbies for Discover Scuba class in the south of the island, does most dive operators just bring them to dive off Sanur or Nusa Dua? I would prefer if they get their first diving experience in a reasonably healthy area with good mix of marine life and I know those places are further out. Again if it's just my boyfriend and I we would have gone off to either Tulamben or Menjangan. I am just trying to work out if there is a way to stay south so the friends have access to Ubud and other cultural stuff. How about Nusa Penida, or the currents are too strong?

I think we did some of the confined water stuff in Sanur when I did my OW many years ago... Not sure about Nusa Dua area. But I remember we did our final dive and exam in Tulamben. Nusa Penida is nice! Yes there are currents but we actually did that as our 2nd day after passing OW...

not that i wanna convince you. im going to bali in beginning of november. have you thought about puerto galera in the philippines. very convenient from hongkong. and cheep too.

Hi. I've just looked up a Bali dive op a friend recommended, Aqua Marine (British run) - very well-run.
www.aquamarinediving.com/
They do Discover scuba (Intro scuba) at the Liberty wreck at Tulamben, so you can dive with your non-certified pals. they say once you do the Intro Scuba with them, they'll take you on dive trips/dive safaris. Email them for more info - I've chatted with them in the past, they're very friendly. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks all. So assuming you dive Tulamben can you stay south or is that logistically impossible?

Regarding the safety comment - I am not at all afraid of terrorism. I worked across the street from WTC and after 911 I still go to work like everyone else. The chances of us dying from car accidents or heart diseases are so much higher, but you don't see people getting obsessed about those problems. Quite baffling. Besides if we let terrorists rule the way we live, what would we become?

I guess my family is on the more fearless side - my parents actually lived a year in Java while I was in college, and we are Chinese too!

Sharka,
For Tulamben diving, although possible to stay South, strongly recommended to stay there. Many DS in South offer dive Tulamben but you must start early morning for 2 - 3hours trip - total 4 -5 hour a day on the road. My favorite is Mimpi Resort - nice resort, good food - any time just jump to the house reef in front of restaurant or walk 50 m to the Liberty. For non-divers will enjoy snorkeling - almost sure then they'll ask more.
January - viz will not good - but, IMHO Tulamben water still much better than on the street of South Bali.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom