Cheap, but good places to learn to dive please!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jodielee

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

thanks for seeming such a welcoming bunch!

We've recently decided we're going to learn upto Divemaster level. Initially we're planning a month holiday somewhere nice so we can do this (probably do an open water referral before we go out somewhere)...

We were thinking sometime in mid-jan or mid-feb, and were thinking Thailand, though have heard the weather there is not so good then, so maybe the diving is not so good also??

Has anyone got any ideas of somewhere we could go at this time of year, for around a month which is cheapish, but nice place. Thailand - Kho Tao? Mexico? Any others??

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Jodie:D

jodilee, welcome to ScubaBoard. . . I'll try to show you around the board rather than just give you my favorites. Go to the top of any page and click on the "Forums" button. A long list of topics will jump out to grab your attention. The first group of topics are for new divers, and where to get training. Then more advanced training, then specialties about what to do underwater.

Scroll way down this list to a group topic "Regional Divers and Dive Clubs". Under this group of topics you can find information for your local area with divers discussing local dive shops and local dive locations. If you fill out your profile, someone in your area may be able to help you get started.

Look at the list of areas of the world, and go to a search for Thailand and you'll find divers there right now. Also, you mention Mexico. . . From Cancun south is the second largest reef system, second only to The great barrier reef. Cozumel island, is among the great dive sites in the world, along with Thailand, The Red Sea, and some of the islands in the Pacific. Australia and the Great Barrier Reef are going into summer there, and you'll find information under their topics. Mexico is going into winter, and their busiest season for diving. You'll find divers talking about Cozumel island, Playa del Carmen, Cancun, Belize, and more areas along the Riviera Maya.

A month of diving, this time of year will make you the envy of everyone on this board, please report on the location board, all of your adventures. With a month of two or three dives a day, you'll have time for Basic open water and Advanced open water, with the experience to gain the respect of the local dive guides, and fellow travelers.

Taking a month to jump up to dive master is perhaps expecting too much for such a short time. There are places that will give you the books, the cards etc. at the expense of less diving. You'll gain the respect from other divers by making and logging a couple of hundred dives, in different locations, than showing lots of cards.

A frequent topic among divers, is the "rapid" acquisition of cards, with less dive experience. Dive advice from the "card carriers" is noticeably different from advice from very experienced divers.

A month of diving experience in the tropics is a dream. . . make the most of time underwater, you'll be a very good diver at the end of the month.

Welcome to SB Jodie! Mudhole has already given you great advice.

I'd be interested in why you would like to become a Divemaster? Is it that you want to improve your diving abilities, or do you want to secure employment in the field?

Hi all, thanks for your replies, I will write a more detailed reply back later today, but just wanted to say cheers for the good advice!

I don't intend to get to DM level in a month, just as much as I can in that time really... And yes, I'm looking to get employment in that field, ideally scientific expeditions, like with GVI or something ;-)

Will write back in a bit

Jods :)

Just to add, Honduras' Bay Islands (Utila and Roatan) remain one of the best-value places to dive. We can recommend diving with Steve Fox, owner of Deep Blue.

right! More time to write a proper reply now!

Yes, I agree, a month off in the tropics for diving will be amazing, I can't wait! The reason I posted was to ask about weather conditions as I've heard it's pretty variable around Jan/Feb and wanted some personal experiences of those places at that time but I will look at those forum areas properly, thanks Mudhole! I definitely wouldn't dream of doing a fast-track DM course, I don't think it sounds like the best idea for something like diving, I suppose it's a bit like doing a fast track course in driving eh? :)

And DCBC, yes, I'm looking eventually do instructor-type work, although ideally with biological expeditions, maybe with something like a BTEC in Biological surveying techniques. Any advice? I've been looking for jobs etc., are there many around that you know of?

I'm thinking of doing some of the training with GVI.co.uk

as aparently they are likely to take people on after volunteering... Do you have any knowledge about these types of things?

Cheers for any pointers,

Jodie x

Gonna take more than DM rating to do that. Figure a biology degree of some kind, scientific diving course(100 hours or more), experience in diving in lots of environments, and excellent skills as well as extensive knowledge of dive theory to land a paying gig.

I've got a degree in biomedical science and have done environmental type projects before. GVI do BTECs in biological surveying techniques which I'm gonna do, and apparently are likely to give you paid work after volunteering, so will investigate more on that front!

Thanks Jim for your advice though.

Back
Top Bottom