Chat Room!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadawg

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a chat room out there that is dedicated to diving, if there is please let me know

:mission: You mean this place doesn't count??? :mission:

This is a Bulletin board not a chat board..The distinction comes in leaving a message and responding to it or live interaction.

IRC (Internet Relay Chat) would be an example of a Chat room... There are Web based Chat servers / applications but I havent seen it installed on this sight.

:) hope that clears up the difference for ya

P.S. I'd also like to know if there is a SCUBA chat out there somewhere as well...

SpyderTek

Yes there is.. Undernet has a good one called #scubatech they are not all tech divers. Its a place for all divers.

Although it would be nice if this place had one. :)

Without much success, due to the fact that if you leave a conversation for any reason you can't catch up on what you've missed. No way to archive the information.

There was one called "ScubaChat" and another one called "WaterWorld", neither one lasted 6 months.

Plus the fact they are hard to control and soon turn into a "Live Version of Rodale's"

Just thought you'd like to know before you put a lot of hard work into it.

ID

well you cant archive on IRC either and they have become very popular. Chat rooms are to meet people and exchange ideas, bs, etc in a real time environment and control is the responsibility of those who are the channel operators which works nicely on IRC.

the *real* problem is that few people are online with the spare time to chat at the same time .....

and with an off-line hobby (or job :) ) like divng, thats even less likely to happen.. what you *could* do is pick an IRC server, register a channel, let us know and see what happens

I think a chat room in here would be great. And so what if it isn't archived. I know a lot of people like to post links to existing threads as a way to answer a question.

I for one don't agree with this, and here is why. Basically a big part of scuba is getting to know people so you can go diving with them, it is the friendships you make along the way that make diving what it is.

I think when someone says we have covered this in depth here.. . and posts a link, some of the friendships will never form and I think that the loss of that is not good.

You'll notice I never do that, although I could. If a new person asks about something that is not a current thread I will try and answer them! Or for that matter if anyone asks a question.

But I have met some great people on here and a few losers, BTW: anyone seen CD lately or is he retired at 35, and would hate to have missed out on this.

A chat room is a way for people to chat and doesn't need to be archived, so you answer the same question several times, no one is forcing you to do so. But someone has a question and you hold the answer possibly.

I don't think of ScubaBoard as a diving dictionary and the search capabilities are not good enough to make it one so current threads are what people read both new and old.

So now you have my 14.2 cents worth!

scubaboard is great because of it's users NOT because of its vast archived content of threads!

Goodness me... As I said, pick a server (or a net), make a channel... advertise it... :)

Actually, the only reason I'm being noisy is because I *have* a (very low traffic, unmonitored) IRC server - so kick me if nothing else comes up :)

Back
Top Bottom