Charter boat etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pauly854

Contributor
Reaction score
I have no doubt that this has been covered extensively, but I have been unable to locate any relevant threads. I have been diving for several years, but have strictly been in quarries and various other mud puddles. I am planning a trip in the spring for diving in Florida, and I have NO idea of the do's and don'ts of a charter boat. I want to be a considerate and trustworthy buddy/boatmate, but do not know the rules (written or unwritten). Suggestions, observations, helpful hints welcome. Thanks

if you'd care to send me an email at dave@indianvalleyscuba.com I will be more than happy to share info appropriate to your upcoming dive plans

Dave Valaika

:banned: You must be banned for no linky. :D

Here's how it works with me. I show up the day before the first dive to do any paper work, answer any questions the operator might have and check in my gear for a quick inspection. On the day of the dive I show up at least a half hour before the boat leaves. I'm usually early compared to some divers who seem to disregard time so I might ask the captain if it's OK to board the boat when I see that he is done doing his preparations. I tell the captain that I want to set up as near the back of the boat as possible because these old bones don't like hiking in fins. I store my stuff below the seat and only take out what I need for the trip out. In the meantime I will be conversing with those divers nearby, discussing relevant stuff like where they are from, etc. Usually I throw in a few lies to make myself seem more experienced and interesting, as do they. That's par for the course. On the way out I pay strict attention to either the DM or boat person who will explain things about the dive location, ask questions if I am confused (most of the time) and gear up for the dive, trying to stay out of everyone else's way. When the boat is tied up the captain will give his speech about the boat, the wreck or reef and makes sure that everyone has a dive partner (hate the word 'buddy') unless the DM is leading the pack. I discuss with my partner that I can get lost in a one-seater barber shop and that it will probably be his responsibility to get us back to the boat if we are on a reef dive. If he has the same problem I change partners. I try to get off the boat first if my partner is ready. Getting back after the dives I dismantle all my stuff and store it under the seat if possible, again trying to stay out of everyone else's way and then continue the story of my life's history, usually with my dive partner. It's really a lot of fun, especially if you are talking to a Canuk or you are in another country. Life's great.

Nice article, but one small disagreement . . . $5 a tank was good 15 years ago, please consider $6 or $7 these days.

Yep this link is a good one. I can just say get to the boat early and start setting up you BC and regs on the tank. If someone is next to or close to you looks like there fumbling and at a loss with how to set up there gear. Offer to help dont just jump in and start settin up there stuff.

If you want to be the first in the water sit at the back of the boat but be SURE your ready to go in when it is time.

If you had a good trip Do TIP the Dive Master and thank the boat captain.

Back
Top Bottom