Charges for items in excess of $300?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just read where the max amount of items into Mexico is $300. Has anyone ever been charged excess duty in Mexico? I haven't encountered any problems in any of the other countries I've been to but I don't remember the limit being this low either.

There is a limit to the duty free items you can bring into Mexico, but its been so long ago that I don't remember if its $300 or not. Sounds about right though. As you know it only applies to items you intend to leave. One way around it is to fake receipts so that you are under the limit. Another way is to just say that you will be taking it back home with you. Easy if it is a laptop, but hard to explain if it is a couple NIB Ipods.

We always take things to friends when we travel to Mexico, just not in case lots, and have never had a problem.

you should have no problem if its personal items. you can bring in a laptop (thats listed on the form and not included in the $300) also clothers dive gear etc is not in the $300. If you had a dive bag full of regulators say then that could be a problem.

OK, that's what I thought. It's just that I came across a post on a travel forum that had me wondering if Mexico was different.

Thanks for the helpful replies!

Back
Top Bottom