Channel Weight for Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
When diving doubles we sometimes use a V weight made of lead between the tanks and the wing to add a little extra weight.

It is possible to fill an STA with some lead to add extra weight to a single tank rig also... Shane uses one of Koplin's weighted STAs that weights 6#.

The other day I decided to play around with the forge and melt some lead... and see what I could come up with for the inside channel of the plate since I do not use an STA.

I took a bare plate and used it for a form... blocking the ends of the channel with angle iron and plugging the holes with plumbers putty. To make room for the cam band straps I cut two pieces of aluminum 2" wide and put them through the cam band slots. I then dammed on top of them with more plumbers putty.

This was all done it a hurry and the finished product is rather rough but it weighs 6# and works like a charm... the cam bands hold the weight in place and it feels great on the back.

I took this out diving today and of course took 6# out of the belt... the belt is so light now I hardly notice it. The combined weight of the rig is still within the ability of the 27# wing to carry.

BTW: Shane's tank is almost 1" further away from his plate using the weighted STA than mine is without the STA and I still have the 6#.... 1" doesn't seem like much until you try to reach your valve. :wink:

Here is a picture and I apologize for the lack of quality but it is all I have.

Oooops.... next post....

Well, sounds great, the picture is kinda hard to see.
Now all you have to do is market the idea to halcyon and make millions, well, some money anyway.
Oh, I have been wondering, is the tank as stable when using the new halcyon wing (I am assuming that is what you are using) as apposed to using a STA.
One other thing, you better get your patent quick, I think Omar has had a similar idea.

UP,

Very nice work. A friend of mine did the same thing a while back. Works great and any weight off the belt is a good thing. :)

Take Care,
Eric

That's slick. Need to make one myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom