Changing Stator on a Outboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skull

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Noticed that three coils on the stator on my 150HP V6 Merc outboard are burnt. Need to change it out and would prefer to do it myself. Anyone ever take on the task? Need any info on making a tool or purchasing one to hold the flywheel while loosening the nut holding the flywheel in place to access the stator. Thought about a gear puller but the diameter of the flywheel is about 12"+.

Paul

I always have the factory service manuals for whatever outboards I own(ed). Seeing the factory tools gave me a way to figure out how to safety juryrig my own versions, and sometimes, the factory tool is the cheapest way to do some weird or arcane procedure. Even with access to the best OMC amd Volvo repair guy on Oahu, the manuals were priceless when I was pulling my engines apart in the boatyard.

I made my own flywheel holding tool, which also incorporates a flywheel puller as well.

I'd rather make my own stuff than buy a "factory" tool.... that is, unless the factory

tool is cheap, and to make one takes more time and materials than it's worth.

--I would not use a gear-type puller on your flywheel.... the ring gear might break

from the force trying to break the bond between the crank and flywheel.

--Sherpa

First, you'll need a flywheel puller. The flywheel is held on with a keyed taper, and a 15/16" nut. Remove the nut, then use a puller. The puller works by engaging threads on the INSIDE of the hole that the nut goes down into. Then, the puller has a bolt in the center that presses down through the center onto the top of the crank. Here's one for about as cheap as you are going to find it: eBay Motors: Mercury, Mariner, Honda Flywheel Puller Lifting Ring (item 220133285104 end time Feb-17-08 18:44:32 PST)

Once the FW is off, the stator is held on by 4 bolts...IIRC, they are 1/4" heads. Simply disconnect, remove and replace with new. Flywheel torque is 100ft-lbs for the nut. I usually have someone hold a large flat-head screwdriver blade tip in the starter ring and hold it up against the bendix to the starter to hold it still while torqueing.

Bought the above fly wheel puller recommended in STV Keith's $29.95...worked like a charm. Used an impact driver to loosen the jam nut. The rest was cake ... re-wiring took about 30 minutes .. total job was about 2 hours. My impact has a torque setting ...on my paticular 150hp it was 120ft-lbs according to SeLoc. Also Merc has a spline on the crank shaft as opposed to a keyway ...very practical. Heading out this am to retrieve my anchor and lobster bag ..found a great bug hotel off of Point Loma ...anchor was jammed into the canyon wall last dive and I couldn't release it by manuevering my boat had to cut the line...course the lobster bag was clipped off to the anchor rode ..which is another story.. another excuse for the significant other for me to dive!
Thanks for the advice gents ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom