Changing out my yoke for din

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDP:
If you have the right tools-the right parts-and the mechanical aptitude, do it yourself. This "certified technician" stuff drives me crazy!

I realize that, and I did mine as well without ill affects. But you also have to realize that not everyone is fully conversed in simple tool handling nor in regulator anatomy. I don't know francousteau nor do I know what he is capable of, so I suggested the most reasonable and safest solution for the problem at hand.

Giving advice over the net might seem like an easy thing to do, but you have in keep in mind that you can stub your toe and then blame it on me, making it my fault and sue me.

Just trying to be safe and provide an answer that is idiot/bullet proof. Obviously if people are asking questions here, they do not know the answer to it, if they do not know the answer to it, you have to treat them like they don't.

Does that satisfy you?

Tamas:
I realize that, and I did mine as well without ill affects. But you also have to realize that not everyone is fully conversed in simple tool handling nor in regulator anatomy. I don't know francousteau nor do I know what he is capable of, so I suggested the most reasonable and safest solution for the problem at hand.

Giving advice over the net might seem like an easy thing to do, but you have in keep in mind that you can stub your toe and then blame it on me, making it my fault and sue me.

Just trying to be safe and provide an answer that is idiot/bullet proof. Obviously if people are asking questions here, they do not know the answer to it, if they do not know the answer to it, you have to treat them like they don't.

Does that satisfy you?

I don't believe giving "safe" advice is a better course. My statement didn't tell anyone to do anything. By "safe" advice, I mean directing people to the dive shops for everything. I feel like people ask questions on this board to get ideas and learn options. That being said, I can see your side (as an instructor) not wanting to put yourself on the line. But I'm not coming from there.

Also, I don't know what you mean by, "Does that satisfy you?".

RDP:
I don't believe giving "safe" advice is a better course. My statement didn't tell anyone to do anything. By "safe" advice, I mean directing people to the dive shops for everything. I feel like people ask questions on this board to get ideas and learn options. That being said, I can see your side (as an instructor) not wanting to put yourself on the line. But I'm not coming from there.

Also, I don't know what you mean by, "Does that satisfy you?".

Good point(s). But Perhaps you are right.....after all, I do most of the work on my truck as well and only take her to the garage if it is something I cannot do. But I also have more knowledge then the average Joe.

What did I mean by that? As in did I explain my reasoning properly.

Yes, I did.

BTW, where do you dive mostly? Did we meet before?

RDP:
If you have the right tools-the right parts-and the mechanical aptitude, do it yourself. This "certified technician" stuff drives me crazy!

Hi ,

I am looking for yoke connectors (not adapters) for SP MK20/MK25. If anyone has any which is not needed please pm me. I am prepared to pay or trade.
I apologise for moving away from this thread. Didn' have any luck looking in Ebay or SB classifieds

regards to all,

Tze

The most screwed up repairs I have ever seen came from a LDS. Lucky I did not get killed. No longer use that dive shop. Not that I am trying to paint all LDS with the same brush. I now rebuild regs and do other repairs that I feel I can do. Know your limitations and do nothing you aren't capable of. It is you that will be in trouble if it fails.

francousteau:
Is this something I can do or should it really go to the shop?

It's not a difficult disassembly/assembly process, but after it's together the directions say to plug all ports except for 1 LP port which your supposed to have a pressure gauge and a relief. Your then supposed to adjust the pressure to 142psi - 148psi by means of the allen screw. I don't have this pressure gauge with the reliever and am wondering if there's a work around or just let the shop do it.
Thanks
A lot of it depends on the first stage design.

On some diaphragm designs a change in the DIN or Yoke retainer may have an impact on the tolerances and compression of the springs used in the seat carrier assembly and this can affect Intermediate pressure and this could require adjustment.

On piston designs this is not going to be an issue. However some designs, whether diaphragm or piston, have very specific torque values and not following them can cause problems. Scubapro for example specifies torque values for the DIN/Yoke retainers and excessive torquing can cause cracking or extreme difficulty in separating the parts after a years worth of salt water exposure and salt deposition. Inadequate torque cna result in the fitting coming loose.

So if you have the right tools, the right torque specifications and the mechanical skills to apply both, then it could be a do it yourself job. But if you lack any of the three or have doubts about any of the three, you need to take it into a shop.

RDP:
I agree with you that the "CertifiedTechnician" thing gets way over blown. I personally feel that shops and manufacturers alike could benefit from developing courses to train and certify owners to service their own regs. But having sat through training courses where some of the attendees did not know the difference between a box end and and open end wrench I can see the liability concerns involved in turning someone loose on a reg, even if it is their own, when they have an inadequate degree of spatial skills and/or limited mechanical aptitude and ability.

If he is talking about using a DIN on a 3500 PSI tank vs a yoke on a 3000 PSI tank one could expect to adjust the IP. Maybe. ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom