Changing o-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
how often should o-rings on a housing be changed? obviously if you see a defect it needs to be changed, but in the absence of any visual defects, is there a period of time or number of dives after which they should be replaced with a new one?

I don't think there is any absolute rule other than the individual manufacturers recommendation. I have used main housing O-rings for over one year. I think changing them is a matter of personal comfort so long as the ring is not damaged. It certainly can't hurt as the cost is minimal for the peace of mind.

One of the most important things is to use the manufacturers grease so as to be compatible with the O-ring's material. For example, I once used generic silicone grease on an Olympus O ring and after about 20 dives the O-ring stretched out to the point it would not fit in the groove. I came to find out that pure silicone grease will break down a silicone O-ring.

Mine lasted about 80 dives before I changed it. It seemed to be streched so I replaced it. IT didn't leak just didn't want to take a chance.

Bob Halstead, pioneer Papua New Guinea dive operator and owner of the dive boat "Telita" offered this advice, "There are only two independent reasons for changing an o-ring, one is if you find a defect and the other is if it makes you feel better."
++Ken++

Bob Halstead, pioneer Papua New Guinea dive operator and owner of the dive boat "Telita" offered this advice, "There are only two independent reasons for changing an o-ring, one is if you find a defect and the other is if it makes you feel better."
++Ken++

I like that! :D

I've got over 400 dives on my Ikelite housing (Oly 4040) with all original o-rings and no problems ever. Good rinsing and occasional re-greasing is all I've done.

The manual gives tips for maintenance, but no mention of routine replacement, so Ike apparently didn't feel it was necessary.

I don't think there is any absolute rule other than the individual manufacturers recommendation. I have used main housing O-rings for over one year. I think changing them is a matter of personal comfort so long as the ring is not damaged. It certainly can't hurt as the cost is minimal for the peace of mind.

One of the most important things is to use the manufacturers grease so as to be compatible with the O-ring's material. For example, I once used generic silicone grease on an Olympus O ring and after about 20 dives the O-ring stretched out to the point it would not fit in the groove. I came to find out that pure silicone grease will break down a silicone O-ring.

Great points.

Compatible grease is important, as I found out once, too. I cleaned off the faulty lube and the o-ring quickly regained its form and function. Actually, it was an x-ring and I was surprised it came right back to good function. Still using it today.

I would guess that some housings may have some o-rings that need watching more than others, but my Ike has been trouble-free.

Dave C

On my Olympus PT-016 housing the main o-ring is static -- the housing closes onto it without have to slide by it. The original o-ring has been in use since Nov 2003 --- about 300 or 400 dives.

Although I bought a replacement o-ring a year or two ago, I haven't seen any reason to replace the original. It fits correctly, and I've used only the Olympus-supplied grease.

The tiny o-rings around the pushbuttons have to seal against sliding shafts, and although I haven't replaced them, a couple of times already I have taken the c-clips off the shafts, slid them and the o-rings out to clean everything up and get rid a small amounts of saltwater corrosion. Your housing may be different, but on mine the weak link appears to be the pushbutton o-rings.

An important part of the equation is that I already have a replacment camera, even though I've never had a flood and had to use it. :)

Charlie Allen

I had been diligent about changing the o-rings as manufacturer recommendation every year and often wondered if was necessary. Post this discussion I think I will replace only if they appear weak or damaged. I also have Olympus housing and have wondered about the tiny o-rings on the buttons. These may be more of a concern.

I had been diligent about changing the o-rings as manufacturer recommendation every year and often wondered if was necessary. Post this discussion I think I will replace only if they appear weak or damaged. I also have Olympus housing and have wondered about the tiny o-rings on the buttons. These may be more of a concern.

I once removed all the tiny push control O-rings from one of my two Oly PT-010's and it was quite a bit of work. The most difficult part is not to lose the "E" clips when they pop off. Since that time I have periodically used pure liquid silicone on them without removing them. One drop on the exterior side of the housing does the trick. Just work the silicone in with the button. I am not sure what the tiny O-rings are made of but the pure liquid silicone has not affected them. I use the Trident brand silicone from a dive shop.

I have been planning to change the o rings on a yearly basis but reading some of the responses kinda made this seem redundance. Then again, o rings being organic material will break down over times. If not a yearly change, perhaps a 2-year interval?

how often should o-rings on a housing be changed? obviously if you see a defect it needs to be changed, but in the absence of any visual defects, is there a period of time or number of dives after which they should be replaced with a new one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom