Changing lanyard on Ikelite Digital Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an Ikelite digital housing (6147.9). I would like to replace the leash on there with a slightly longer one so that it will "fit" me when I stow the camera while diving.

It looks like it should be as a simple as unscrewing the plate and replacing the lanyard with my own custom one. Of course, nothing in life is as simple as it looks.

A few questions:
Will the acrylic melt or "burn" if I over tighten the screw?
Is there a torque spec for the screw?
If the replacement lanyard is bigger or smaller than the original one, would it affect the seal?

Would I be better off just cutting the lanyard off and tying a replacement into the tray or strobe arm?

Attachments

• IMG_2681.JPG
    IMG_2681.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2691.JPG
    IMG_2691.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 125
I mounted a short length of nylon line with a dog clip to my Ike's tray. The end of a retractor clips to the eye of the dog clip.

That setup keeps the camera housing out of harm's way on a chest D-ring when not in use, but still connected to a retractor when in use.

Never gets left behind that way. :D

I'd just leave the original lanyard in place if it doesn't interfere with anything or remove it as a unit and go with a shorter screw. Cutting it will probably reduce the resale value.... :)

I'd say a safe bet is to use just enough torque to get the screw snug. It's very unlikely to back out of the plastic.

Dave C

Last edited:
The thumbgrip can be removed to replace the lanyard on your housing. We don't have torque spec for that screw-- just tighten back down until snug. You want to avoid overtightening and stripping out the screw, which would require replacement of the back of the housing.

You are welcome to send the housing and new lanyard into us we can replace it for you. Just be sure to include a brief note of explanation and your full contact info when returning.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom