changing hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronR103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dunno if this has been posted previously, but I'm changing out the hoses on my reg. Is it simply a matter of unscrewing the 2nd stage from one hose and screwing it back onto the new one, or is there something else involved (thread-tape, etc)? Thanks.

A

No thread tape or anything. Be sure the Oring is in good shape, and don't over-tighten everything. Its really a simple operation.

For years, I wouldn't touch my stuff... scared to death to get involved with my "life support" equipment. Been changing out hoses, SPG's, and all that now for a long time with no issues. This stuff is remarkably simple and durable.

Pressure test it when you're done. If it leaks, reseat it and try again. If it still leaks, check the orings, and try again. If it still leaks, it probably needs to go to the dive shop.

---
Ken

Ken's right...it really is simple. I'll just reiterate that you want to be very careful about overtightening any of those conneciton points. You want it just barely over finger tight...tight enought that you can't loosen with your fingers, but if you torque it down to o hard, something will break.

hey, I even did mine the other day!....that should make you a bit more confident.

catherine96821:
hey, I even did mine the other day!....that should make you a bit more confident.

Only if you have used it since then and survived. Cripes I hope you were not multi-tasking when you were fiddling with your dive gear.

the only other thing that I do is lube the o-rings with silicone greese. that is compliant with standard air fills and nitrox fills up to 40%. If you use anything above 40% nitrox then you will need to use christolube to lubricate the o-rings.

yea, I was cooking dinner and lecturing the kids while I did it. Next week....I put on the pressure gauge I bought from Soggy. If I never post again, ya'll will know what happened.

Replacing a hose-

If your using pipe thread, its probobly time to upgrade to a newer model!

That being said it is a very easy proccess and besides the previous post here is a couple more tidbits.

Some 2nd stages have unique fittings, ie Scuba Pro, most of there newer 2nd stages have spindle type fitting and you are suposed to use a special SP tool, but you can get by with a channel lock plyer, but be gental its plastic.

For the male fittings that go into the first stage use just a touch of lube, I reccomend cristo lube, make sure there is no dirt or hair on the oring and it is in good condition, tighten just a touch beyond finger tight. For replacing the hose that goes to the second stage check the female fitting, there is a oring there that can be cut by the second stage if not done gently.

Good luck and I think that all divers should be capable of changing hoses on the spot if need be.

JUMBO

Use two wrenches. One on the second stage and one on the hose fitting. I have had people crack the plastic housing so be careful and gental. I use Tappet wrenches, they are very thin and fit nicely in tight places. You can get them at Sears or Snap On. Don't over lube the orings, just put enough on to make them shiney, too much can cause problems. It's not hard to do but you do have to be careful not to crank on things too hard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom