Changing BC bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nismo

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Whats involved with changing the bladder on my Ranger? I would like to switch to a smaller bladder when I travel since that will be most of my warm weather diving. I think the smaller bladder would actually be enough for my quarry dives since I used a scout for OW and AOW. Kinda want to make my own Brigade more or less.

In fact, you'll have basically made a "Brigade," which is a Zeagle model only available at ScubaToys.

Are all the bladders made with the same nylon outer shell?

you are changing both the bladder and the shell. While I haven't compared, my guess is the dump valves wouldn't linkup and you would have a lot of extra material. Also, and I don't know if this is true of Zeagles, but I have heard that one of the way manufacturers keep the strain off of the bladder seals is to make the bladder slightly bigger than the shell such that fully inflated, the shell restricts the bladder's further increase in size (not the bladder staying together). If this is true for Zeagle, you might find the bladder failing prior to the nylon shell 'restricting it'.

This is true for Zeagle too - the outer shell is what restricts the lift capacity of the Ranger to the approximate 44lbs lift.

you are changing both the bladder and the shell. While I haven't compared, my guess is the dump valves wouldn't linkup and you would have a lot of extra material. Also, and I don't know if this is true of Zeagles, but I have heard that one of the way manufacturers keep the strain off of the bladder seals is to make the bladder slightly bigger than the shell such that fully inflated, the shell restricts the bladder's further increase in size (not the bladder staying together). If this is true for Zeagle, you might find the bladder failing prior to the nylon shell 'restricting it'.

Are all the bladders made with the same nylon outer shell?

Not all have an outer shell, in some the shell and bladder are one in the same, the Scout bladder for example. If your looking for a travel BC, a "bladderless" type would be a better choice, less material and weight.

Not all have an outer shell, in some the shell and bladder are one in the same, the Scout bladder for example. If your looking for a travel BC, a "bladderless" type would be a better choice, less material and weight.

Herman is correct...

When I talk about changing the bladder to a smaller one, I am talking about taking off the entire bladder assembly and replacing it with a single bag bladder, like the Scout or the Stiletto...

Scott

Back
Top Bottom