Changes to H-160 DPV weighting??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Several months ago, I sent an email inquiring whether Hollis had any other available trim weights for the H-160 DPV. I was sent a reply (that for the life of me, I can't find, now) that There was not & that Hollis would look into whether different trim weights could be developed, but have heard nothing new. Here's where this is coming from....

1. In fresh water, when not in operation, the H-160 is very negatively buoyant with the 2 factory supplied trim weights (.8 lbs each). When in motion, the DPV "planes out" neutral (for lack of a better term). I tried the DPV without any trim weights & it was very negative in the rear & very positive in the nose (almost pointing straight up). I tried it with 1 trim weight,... it was still too rear heavy & nose light & also listed to the side of the remaining weight, so neither of those options would work. There is also a warning in the owner's manual to not use any other weighting systems on the DPV, for fear it may damage the other parts of the DPV. Don't get me wrong,... I absolutely love the balance the factory supplied trim weights give. It makes the scooter very easy to handle. In what conditions are the factory trim weights made for? Saltwater, maybe? Or just to balance the DPV?

2.In the future, I am wanting to use the scooter for freshwater cave diving, but need the scooter to be just barely negatively buoyant,... almost neutral would be optimum.

Has there been any new developments in other trim weights for the scooter, as was mentioned in the reply I got? I am just wanting to make the most out of the DPV & not have to worry about damaging the fragile environment of the underwater caves. Thanks!

Several months ago, I sent an email inquiring whether Hollis had any other available trim weights for the H-160 DPV. I was sent a reply (that for the life of me, I can't find, now) that There was not & that Hollis would look into whether different trim weights could be developed, but have heard nothing new. Here's where this is coming from....

1. In fresh water, when not in operation, the H-160 is very negatively buoyant with the 2 factory supplied trim weights (.8 lbs each). When in motion, the DPV "planes out" neutral (for lack of a better term). I tried the DPV without any trim weights & it was very negative in the rear & very positive in the nose (almost pointing straight up). I tried it with 1 trim weight,... it was still too rear heavy & nose light & also listed to the side of the remaining weight, so neither of those options would work. There is also a warning in the owner's manual to not use any other weighting systems on the DPV, for fear it may damage the other parts of the DPV. Don't get me wrong,... I absolutely love the balance the factory supplied trim weights give. It makes the scooter very easy to handle. In what conditions are the factory trim weights made for? Saltwater, maybe? Or just to balance the DPV?

2.In the future, I am wanting to use the scooter for freshwater cave diving, but need the scooter to be just barely negatively buoyant,... almost neutral would be optimum.

Has there been any new developments in other trim weights for the scooter, as was mentioned in the reply I got? I am just wanting to make the most out of the DPV & not have to worry about damaging the fragile environment of the underwater caves. Thanks!

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the questions. The supplied lead trim device in the H160 is there to provide the correct ballast so that from fresh to salt water, you can trim it to your preferrence. However, due to the nature of this design and having a brushed DC motor, there is extra weight in the rear of the vehicle that causes it to be tail heavy.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom