Changes that Senior divers make?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
From your personal experience or observation, what are the ways senior divers modify their diving as they age.......... or do they........ or should they?

FYI: Age related, equipment used, boat versus beach, water visabilty, dive destinations that are senior friendly......

Switching to sidemount from doubles is something I'm seeing a lot of. Instructor (older fellow) at a shop I get fills at was just talking about that last week. His back can't handle doubles any longer.
Was he talking about a single 80 side mount, double 60 side mount or what?

I'm 52, and don't count as a senior yet, but from knee issues (and sciatica) that have gotten worse as I've gotten older, I do SM and my trusty cart goes everywhere. My tech instructor got this photo a couple of weeks ago at the end of a class day. The photo was posted with others on her shop's website and at least one person asked where I got the cart. I dive LP85s for tech/cave and LP50s for recreational stuff.

3D6DEF42-F66F-414D-83BD-F1750EB6F202.jpeg

Was he talking about a single 80 side mount, double 60 side mount or what?

He dives dry here in the Midwest. Most people seem to dive steels here. He dove HP100s as doubles and was talking about just splitting them up to use SM.

What age is a senior? As long as I'm fit and healthy, I'll continue the status quo...if exiting the water becomes tough, I'll remove my BC in the water. Other than that, I forsee no changes.

I'm 62 and a cancer survivor, I don't do any strenuous dives any more. I am an Ice certified PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer. I'm not interested in teaching anymore. I enjoy diving but limit it to easy dives in warm water. Usually boat dives, but I will shore dive if the entry is not complicated. When boat diving I remove my gear before coming up the ladder etc.

From your personal experience or observation, what are the ways senior divers modify their diving as they age..........

Easy answer for me. No more 3-5' seas, no more meds to keep my breakfast down, no more trying to push the envelope. Now I just dive and enjoy the freaking hell out out it.

Depth? So what? All of my most memorable dives have been 'shallow'. Well, not exactly all of them. There was that one dive where the kid did an awesome job of looping his exploration reel across miles of mussels. 'Loopy' being the key word...

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom