Change Reg Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Although it seems pretty simply, I thought i'd check with you guys before doing this the first time. I need to change the hoses on 2 reg sets and have the following questions

a) No lubricant on the 1st stage end correct?
b) I do apply lubricant to the 2nd stage end, is this correct?
c) How should I remove the old lubricant, is there any tricks or reccomended cleaners to use? Cotton buds?
d) I assume I should lubricate both ends of the swivel on the SPG correct?
e) People seem to recommend that you use two spanners for the SPG swivel. Should this be cinched a lot tighter than the other hoses? Does this one require a tight connection vs using an o-ring to seal, or is it just because of the higher pressures involved?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Oz....I'm sure others will chime in, but I believe in applying a thin film of lubricant to ALL threads. It not only serves to lubricate, but acts as a barrier to help prevent corrosion.

Use two wrenches not only on the SPG end, but on the hose/second stage end as well. You don't want to damage the housing of your second stage or SPG. Incidentally, the SPG does not require more torque as the gas seal and swivel are made possible by a stem with two o-rings.

Couv

P.s. Here's a similar thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...l-knowledge-hose-replacement.html#post5553330

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by removing the old lubricant. Lubricant shouldn't be globbed on so much that there's a lot left behind when removing/replacing o-rings. For most o-rings requiring lubrication, it's recommend to add a thin even coat to the o-ring so that it glistens under light. If there's a lot of lubricant left behind (from someone who went overboard with the lube), I'd remove it with a paper towel or a clean cloth.

I lubricate the o-rings installed at the hose-1st stage junction. Other people choose not to. It's a static o-ring, so it probably doesn't make much of a difference either way.
I generously lubricate the o-rings on the either end of the HP spool.
I also lubricate the o-ring located inside the 2nd stage connection end of an LP reg hose.
I use two wrenches to tighten up the HP hose-SPG junction. Particularly with plastic SPGs, if you don't use two wrenches, you can damage the SPG.
I also use two wrenches to tighten up the LP hose-2nd stage junction. If you don't use two wrenches on this particular junction you run the risk of driving the retaining nut for the valve body further into the 2nd stage housing, which in many modern regs is made of some sort of lightweight plastic/polymer. That's not good. It could crack the 2nd stage housing.

Might there not be something to be said for having this professionally serviced since it could cost you your life? Unless you've been doing this forever and have no questions about it.
That's pretty funny.
I think it's particularly amusing that this post was made in a thread in the DIY Forum.
Replacing reg hoses is a very straightforward procedure.

If you can bang two rocks together, you can change a hose.

And if you feel that you need two wrenches so that you don't break anything, you are putting things together way too tight. The O ring makes the seal, not going gorilla on the fitting. If it is tight enough to not come apart, it is tight enough *period*. Snug is good - tighter is *NOT* better!

- Tim

And if you feel that you need two wrenches so that you don't break anything, you are putting things together way too tight. The O ring makes the seal, not going gorilla on the fitting. If it is tight enough to not come apart, it is tight enough *period*. Snug is good - tighter is *NOT* better!
@tadawson: I don't think you really understand why a person should use two wrenches when attaching a 2nd stage to a reg hose or a SPG to a HP hose.

Might there not be something to be said for having this professionally serviced since it could cost you your life? Unless you've been doing this forever and have no questions about it.

I see you are new here so let me catch you up a little. The whole "its life support equipment" and a pro must do it otherwise you will die is not a good idea to post here in the DIY section. We take a dim view of it and will call BS real quick. Reg service is not rocket science and is actually fairly easy for anyone mechanically inclined. Sure there are those who should not be let anywhere near a wrench but for most with a little information, its easy and hose repair is about as easy as it gets. My suggestion to you is to keep reading this section and learn from large the number of very good reg techs who frequent this forum. Knowing how your reg works and keeping the underpaid tank monkeys that unfortunately are employed at many shops from "professionally" servicing your reg will serve you much better in the end. There are some very good techs working in the industry and I don't mean to take anything away from them, I have several friends who are reg pros but the fact is for every great tech there are several tank monkeys “professionally” working on regs.

To answer your question, reg failure should not cause you to lose your life, it should be a fairly minor event if you were properly trained (you do remember sharing air with your buddy and CESA's don't you) and do what you were taught. Even in tech diving, safety protocols relegate complete reg failure to a pain in the rear event. If you stay around and learn from the techs here, you will learn that total reg failure is very uncommon and a failure mode that does not supply any air (as opposed to a freeflow event) almost never happens. You will also learn that the vast majority of reg problems happen AFTER recent professional reg service.

On using 2 wrenches, it is best to use 2 when installing a hose and pretty much mandatory when removing a hose, esp one that you have no knowledge of who installed it. While it should not be so tight as to need 2 wrenches, between some heavy handed tech tightening it originally or it being seized due to corrosion, it's best to err on the side of caution. This is esp true when dealing with plastic second stages. They are too easy to crack.

@tadawson: I don't think you really understand why a person should use two wrenches when attaching a 2nd stage to a reg hose or a SPG to a HP hose.

Frankly, on most of my regs, you would not have a place to even use the second wrench - either on the 1st or 2nd. SPG swivels, yes . . . . there *are* multiple fittings/nuts there to use dual wrenches on.

I hold to what I said - if you crank on it so much that anything would break/shift/mis-adjust, then you are likely going gorilla on it, and the problem isn't the second wrench - it's the loose nut behind it :) :).

Having said that, there is no reason not to, but, as I said above, at least on my stuff, it would be impossible to use one if you tried, so best to know how to do it right, and not need it.

And @bubbletrouble - I've been doing this for 30+ years, so I think I have a good grasp of the simple concepts involved . . .

- Tim

Back
Top Bottom