Change Dive Shop / Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agency fees are significant, enough so that I offer different prices depending on which agency’s card the student wants, but they aren’t crippling.

Until recently, the biggest piece of the pie went to the dive center when I worked as a contractor.

Now, the cost of gas to our OW training site is the biggest expense. Two hours each way in my 20 year old truck makes taking a contract teaching assignment a losing proposition.

As a private instructor, I have an arrangement under which the dive center comps me the codes (which they can buy cheaper than I can) if my OW students that I found on my own buy their mask, fins and snorkels at the shop.

I’ve known of shops that offer both PADI and SDI OW classes. SDI was $200 less than PADI. I asked and was told it was the cost of the materials.

WOW, NAUI doesn't only have the best student training material (including best textbook and eLearning) but it also seems to be the most competitive deal in overall cost to instructors in training and certifying students by far.

If you current instructor is safety focused and genuinely concerned for your safety and the safety of other divers.... Then why change. All instructors are all driven by the standards, and all contribute additional knowledge based on experience. If your instructor is confident / safe and covers the material in a fashion that you are confident in your knowledge and can take the tests without concern, then I would say you have no reason to change.

All in all every instructor is in it because they love the hobby. If they instill that same confidence in you, then stay were you are and soak up the knowledge.

They learn faster only because Scuba is easy and natural for most, and they are reasonably confident in confined water.

Some students are not capable of keeping up with the demands of training, or are unprepared. Although, this is part of the problem and the solution. This is a computer-generated message. Do not reply.

Ticket to disaster for some.

Grumpy Instructors are driven by money not empathy.

Does this represent your Hermetic lifestyle? Since your input amounts to zero tolerance for others.

The Instructor needs to be responsible for the welfare of their students.
I struggle to make the connection between his instructor that the OP really likes and her being grumpy and driven by money... In no place in his post he mentioned that she was not empathetic or didn't care. can you elaborate?

My position is that if you've found an instructor that you like and makes you feel good, stay with him/her.

I struggle to make the connection between his instructor that the OP really likes and her being grumpy and driven by money... In no place in his post he mentioned that she was not empathetic or didn't care. can you elaborate?

My position is that if you've found an instructor that you like and makes you feel good, stay with him/her.
For whatever reason, ASD always seems to find something negative to focus on in every thread.

For whatever reason, ASD always seems to find something negative to focus on in every thread.
I've noticed that as well... I think it is kind of funny actually. Some people just see the glass half empty I guess :)

Why not? The instructor I re-did my rescue course at in 2015 will be my TDI ANDP instructor later this year.
I've done quite a few dives with the instructor outside of training and we get along well.

He was also the instructor I chose to teach my son his OW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom