Change Atom 2.0 Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blueeyes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, Any one her got experience self change battery for oceanic atom2.0? after change battery need to pressure test?

Hi, Any one her got experience self change battery for oceanic atom2.0?
Yes. I've changed the battery in a friends Atom 2.0, and both my VT3 and Geo. I read the instructions in the Owner's Manual, then I read them again slower, then I re-read them a third time. All before I even touched the battery cover. I then followed the manual's instructions, step-by-step, to the letter. All three have numerous dives on them and they haven't flooded. . . Yet! Besides reading the instructions several times, I would highly advise that you buy a genuine Oceanic battery replacement kit. It comes with the proper battery (people have had problems with battery's they've bought from Radio Shack, camera stores, etc. Even though the battery was the right model.), a new gasket and silicone grease to lube the gasket. I also changed the battery in the transmitter at the same time. Don't forget that once you've changed the battery in the Atom, to go back through all of the menus and make sure you still have the same settings, this includes resetting the time and date (I forgot to do this on my VT3 and ended up with some dives in my log that were slightly wrong on the date/time).

. . .after change battery need to pressure test?
What the manual recommends in terms of a "pressure test" is that after you've replaced the batteries, you put your first stage on a tank and pressurize the transmitter to test that you're able to link-up with it and that the Atom is showing the pressure. Since I travel a lot to go diving, I really needed to know that it was working properly before I left, so I went down to the local dive gear pedaler and they let me hook it up to a tank right there. They first checked the pressure in the tank with their analog gauge, so I was also able to get an idea if my transmitter was sending a pretty close reading. I believe it was within 50 psi.

I've done it without a pressure test. They are supposed to be user replaceable so it shouldn't be needed. Just be sure to keep the oring and seats clean and lubricate the oring with the proper silicone grease. A speck of dust can cause a leak so be careful to keep everything clean until it is back together.

Back
Top Bottom