cf cards help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buleetu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi guys

i just bought a camera that uses cf cards

is there a differance between cf cards the way there is with xd cards i was told h xd cards are the best

is there something similar with cf cards

thanks guys

There are write speed differences between cards but I have found very little difference in the way they preform in the camera. On the other hand, I can see a big difference in the down load speed when they are placed in a card reader. IMO, get the fastest card speed you can but don't spend a lot more for faster cards, the extra cost is not worth the extra read speed you get.

There are write speed differences between cards but I have found very little difference in the way they preform in the camera. On the other hand, I can see a big difference in the down load speed when they are placed in a card reader. IMO, get the fastest card speed you can but don't spend a lot more for faster cards, the extra cost is not worth the extra read speed you get.

All depends on the camera. I use a Nikon D300. The card's speed only comes into play when the camera's memory buffer gets filled up quickly and it needs to purge it to the CF card. You will not see any noticeable performance difference between other slower cards if you are not filling up the camera's memory buffer very quickly.

I have used CF cards in both Oly 5050's and a Canon S70. The 5050 (Oly) bragged about the xD card, but I never used an xD card that was as fast as even my oldest and slowest CF cards. My newer and faster CF cards were/are faster recording than my older and slower CF cards (duuhh).

I don't really care about the download speed; when I'm dry I am not in a big enough hurry for it to matter. As far as write speed goes, the only reason to care is raw image format; jpg write difference should be negligible.

I use everything from el cheapos to SanDisk Extreme CF cards in my cameras (including the Canon 40Ds). So far, there's very little difference even when I'm shooting in burst mode (which, admittedly isn't that often). There may be difference in download time to the computer, but I usually just stick the card in and do other things while it's downloading so I've never timed them at all. None stick out as being ridiculously slower than others.

One of the best values I've found is the Transcend cards...the 8GBs are well under $40 almost all the time.

I no longer use my camera that utilizes a CF card. All I can tell you about my experieince with it was I thought I would save some money on a bigger card and it was TERRIBLE. I did not spend the time to talk with "an expert" or spend the money on what is right and I regretted it with every shot I took. In fact, I did two dives that day and the card has not seen action since (after that sales pitch I will sell it off real cheap :rofl3: ). It took 15-20 seconds to write the picture data where a faster card took 2-3 seconds. Talk to an expert and tell them what you need it for. Underwater stuff happens and moves very quickly so the longer the write time the more you will miss.

thank you all for the help

could someone look at this ebay page and tell me what u think, i live in ireland so it is handy for me to get this one if its okay to buy
eBay.ie: 4GB COMPACT FLASH CF MEMORY CARD FOR DIGITAL CAMERA 4G (item 250277022929 end time 09-Aug-08 20:47:22 BST)

could anyone tell me why this cf card is so cheap??? the cards on my local camera shops website are 80 euros for the 4gb card

this ebay page says the card is compatible with a nikon d70s as well as a load of other cameras, my camera is a d70 it wil fit my camera wont it, arent the d70 and d70s more or less the same camera

Sorry, I don't know anything about these, but usually if it's too good to be true, it is.

Perhaps check out some US sites and have them shipped? shouldn't be much. Or head to a site like POTN as there are a lot of UK/Europe shooters there and they might be able to point you to a local supplier.

I usually check PriceGrabber.com - Comparison Shopping, Online Shopping, Product Reviews and put in the size I want (8GB CF, for instance) then go from there.

thanks alcina, ill give it ago, that card on ebay has to be dodgey its so cheap, i could end up with an empty cf card covering or something haha thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom