Question Cervical Herniated Disk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shirishshah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am 71 years old and done more than 500 dives. Two months ago I was diagnosed with cervical herniated disk ( MRI report attached).I have severer Pain in my left upper arm ( Bicep) and that was the only symptom I had. I did not need any surgery, and doctor ask to do physio therapy. First month they treated me with Laser, Magneto, ultra sound and IFT and traction. once pain subside I was started on exercise. now I feel complete normal but some tingling still happens in my left arm. It happen one or twice in a day. My question is when should I start diving again. My problem is that in my city very very few divers and no doctors has any experience about scuba diving and related medical problem. they don't understand how strainful is on neck to jump or roll over in water and get out of it. I like to hear from somebody who has similar problem and what they have done with it.

Attachments

• SHIRISH SHAH MRI Cervical spine.pdf
    305.1 KB · Views: 15
It is impossible to tell what will happen when you dive. If you are alright in your everyday activities you should be good to dive.
I would advise not to bend your head back or rotate it excessively .

I am 71 years old and done more than 500 dives. Two months ago I was diagnosed with cervical herniated disk ( MRI report attached).I have severer Pain in my left upper arm ( Bicep) and that was the only symptom I had. I did not need any surgery, and doctor ask to do physio therapy. First month they treated me with Laser, Magneto, ultra sound and IFT and traction. once pain subside I was started on exercise. now I feel complete normal but some tingling still happens in my left arm. It happen one or twice in a day. My question is when should I start diving again. My problem is that in my city very very few divers and no doctors has any experience about scuba diving and related medical problem. they don't understand how strainful is on neck to jump or roll over in water and get out of it. I like to hear from somebody who has similar problem and what they have done with it.
You might start by asking your provider whether he/she thought that the circulation to your spine in the areas of the bulging disk could be compromised in any way.

You might also consider opening a conversation with him/her about analogous heavy physical activity that puts a strain on the areas of your cervical spine affected by the bulging disks - hiking with a heavy backpack would be one example. Another option you could discuss with your physician is whether putting on and taking off your gear in the water would be helpful.

Best regards,
DDM

Rig up your own traction device for your neck and use it regularly. I did this for a couple of months and I was able to postpone cervical fusion surgery for 10 years. It removed the paralysis, pain, tingling in my left arm for a full 10 years before things came back and I was forced to have the surgery.

Rig up your own traction device for your neck and use it regularly. I did this for a couple of months and I was able to postpone cervical fusion surgery for 10 years. It removed the paralysis, pain, tingling in my left arm for a full 10 years before things came back and I was forced to have the surgery.
Did You dive During those 10 Years ? If yes, What was your experience ? Do you think If I wear Cervical Collar only during jumping/roll Over in water will help ?

Did You dive During those 10 Years ? If yes, What was your experience ? Do you think If I wear Cervical Collar only during jumping/roll Over in water will help ?
If you need a cervical collar you should not be diving.
As I said before, it is impossible to tell what will happen.
Do as DukeDive has said, but the doctors will be guessing as well, they cannot give you any guarantees. Their guesses might be better than the advice you get on Scubaboard though because they know your medical history.

Though this may have been effective for you, it could cause harm to someone else depending on the specifics of their disease process and exactly how they interpret "rig up your own traction device".

Best regards,
DDM

I can not answer how it will work for your condition. Yes I was still diving when I was doing it, but only after it relieved my symptoms. In my case I always felt better for a few minutes after traction but it never lasted very long before the symptoms returned so I improvised my own traction for longer periods and it worked for me. You may have different results as Duke medicine has stated above.

Rig up your own traction device for your neck and use it regularly.

You may have gotten lucky that you improved, either because of your homemade remedy or in spite of it. That much being said you have no idea what effect this may have on someone else, I suggest not dispensing medical advise unless you're so qualified and have a reasonably good idea of the patients exact medical condition.

You may have gotten lucky that you improved, either because of your homemade remedy or in spite of it. That much being said you have no idea what effect this may have on someone else, I suggest not dispensing medical advise Go
Good grief, I thought I took care of that with the previous post

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom