Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Japan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm neophyte to diving but would like to get certified, that much I know. What certification should I get, PADI, CMAS, NAUI? If there is no short explanation as to why I should choose one over the other perhaps you could point me in the direction of where I can get a further explanation. And where in the world would you recommend I go? Taking into account price and area quality. I was thinking of Phuket, am I on track with that kind of thinking?

Thanks

Japan
:confused:

Walter has some great insight on the different agencies... you might want to run a search on that topic. Pretty much, you are going to find that we ALL agree that the instructor is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than the agency. A great instructor will add more to the course, and a lousy instructor will detract from it! Talk with several instructors in your area and maybe even their students. Remember, these guys can be consumate salesmen, so look beneath the surface. You might even "connect" with one, and that will make your search easy. Just make sure that they are safe and plan to go in depth. There are those instructors willing to trade $$ for certs... instead of $$ for diving knowledge that will earn you your certs.

Oh yeah, welcome to the best board on the net, SCUBA or otherwise! I hope you meet as many great friends and learn as much as I have.

I agree with Netdoc: check out the INSTRUCTOR. He/she is the one you will be working with....THEY are the most important part of learning to dive. The AGENCY is IRRELEVANT. It's the INSTRUCTOR that counts.

Interview the Instructor, get references & follow up on them.

Meanwhile, with all due respect to Walter, his "insight" is very subjective and based on his own criteria about what he considers a "proper" Open Water course. Please bear that in mind.

Just my $0.02's worth,

~SubMariner~

Price is an important criteria in selecting an instructor (take note that I didn't say agency)....

Buy the best you can find....
And expect to pay for it....
Bargains aren't bargains....
Interview several....
Select the best....

Time is an important criteria in selecting an agency...

Buy the most course time you can afford....
Expect to pay for it....
Shun quick courses....
Evaluate material to be presented....
Evaluate standards to be met....

my opinion only

Welcome to ScubaBoard! I agree with the others, it's the Instructor that counts.

I remember when I wanted to learn to dive. I had no idea where to go, who to talk to and I knew no one who was a diver. We went into the first dive shop we found and signed up for class. We were very lucky...our first instructor was very thorough and an excellent educator.

In order to find these instructors we're advising you to talk to, I'd make a list of dive shops and start visiting them. I don't know how it is in Japan, but alot of the time here in Texas, a dive shop will have several instructors on staff and they don't always work in the dive shop and aren't available to interview unless you make prior arrangements.

Good luck in your search!

Yes, the instructor is the most important part of the equation. I would suggest that all good instructors are not compatible with all students though so there is a need to get a "good vibe" from the initial meeting.

I've been an instructor for 20 years and my technique was not compatible with all my students.:doctor:

Hmmm....This question comes up from time to time from people seeking out this new and exciting activity that everyone here embraces.

While I agree that the instructor is the most important part of the equation (if the instructor teaches you poor information you'll be a poor diver, if you don't like your instructor, well. . . ), I also believe that philosophies of agencies goes hand in hand with this answer. I have found this out as my diving career has progressed; I am beginning to see that I do not agree with some agencies' philosophies (such as PADI's) and thus I tend to have some problems with the lore those instructors profess.

There are good and bad instructors from all agencies, you need to find one that you are comfortable with. You need to talk to the instructor before hand, maybe even audit one of his/her classes to see how they teach (if possible). Again, if you don't have a good feeling about the instructor, then find another. There's nothing worse that getting poor information and/or not feeling comfortable with someone on the surface; remember that person will be with you at 20-40 feet u/w during your training; your life is not only in your hands, but theirs as well.

Cheers :)

Japan,

You'be receved some good information - intervire potential instructors. For information on how to interview them check out http://diverlink.com/newdiver/

I agree there are great differences between instructors within any given agency and finding the best instructor is important. OTOH, the agency does play a very important role as well. jmsdiver is correct, agencies have philosophies and those philosophies vary greatly from agency to agency. Listen to Uncle Pug's comments - the cheapest class is usually a rush job and not worth the money. Some instructors/agencies specialize in rush jobs.

Good luck in your search.

DSSW,

WWW™

Here are some dealers near you.
Rick
-------------------------------------------------
Name Club Northern Lights
Category Diver Training Facility
Address 1-11-1-604, Nishihonmachi,Nishi-ku

City Osaka-shi
State Osaka
Country Japan
Postal Code 550-0005
Email c_n_l@kg7.so-net.ne.jp
Phone 81-6-4391-8087
Fax 81-6-4391-8086

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name Divers Club
Address 1F, 3-20-16 Toyosaki Kitaku

City Osaka-shi
State Osaka
Country Japan
Postal Code 531-0072
Phone 81-6-6377-0900
Fax fax 81-6-6377-1999

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name Gara
Address 1-3-36 win's Bldg. Shimanouchi, Chuoku

City Osaka-shi
State Osaka
Country Japan
Postal Code 542-0082
Email diving@ga-ra.com
Web Site http://www.ga-ra.com
Phone 81-6-6244-0120
Fax fax 81-6-6244-0121

Name Marine Message
Address Daisho Bldg. 2,3F 8-12,Satsukicho

City Sakai-shi
State Osaka
Country Japan
Postal Code 590-0031
Phone 81-722-24-5150
Fax fax 81-722-28-3355

Name Marine Star Rays
Category Platinum Facility
Address 6-10-20,Sekime,Jotoku,

City Osaka-shi
State Osaka
Country Japan
Postal Code 536-0008
Phone 81-6-6786-5151
Fax fax 81-6-6931-7359

Name Noaa Noah (U.I.U.)
Category Instructor Training Facility
Address 2-16-13 2F Nishishinsaibashi Chuoku

City Osaka-shi
State Osaka
Country Japan
Postal Code 542-0086
Phone 81-6-6211-8136
Fax fax 81-6-6211-8137

Name R & A Divers
Address 1-9-14, Hoji

City Higashiosaka-shi
State Osaka
Country Japan
Postal Code 577-0805
Phone 81-6-6722-2397
Fax fax 81-6-6724-5757

Name Step Up School
Address 3-4-1, 6F Uchikyuhojicho Chuoku

City Osaka-shi
State Osaka
Country Japan
Postal Code 540-0013
Phone 81-6-6949-0603
Fax fax 81-6-6949-0602

Name Wonder Reef Instructor Academy
Category Instructor Training Facility
Address 1-13-15 Nishishinsaibashi Chuoku

City Osaka-shi
State Osaka
Country Japan
Postal Code 542-0086
Email info@wonder-reef.com
Phone 81-6-6245-1325
Fax fax 81-6-6245-1981

Name Yoiko Sensuijuku
Address 1-1-5 Kishibeminami

City Suita-shi
State Osaka
Country Japan
Postal Code 564-0011
Phone 81-6-6317-4159
Fax 81-6-6317-4157

Consideration should be given to instructors who are not owners/employees/associates of a dive shop. LDS owner/instructors may give you a narrow perspective on gear, local clubs, local diving, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom