Certification-Which One?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When did they introduce that? That doesn't sounds like a good idea.

I don't really know. However it might be regional(my impression is that CMAS isn't a homogenous agency), up here in sweden/scandinavia. I do know that it was one reason a friend of mine's mom picked CMAS over PADI. The reasoning I'm hearing is that it prevents buddy separation, and that many/most accidents have buddy separation as a factor. Then again I'm also hearing a lot of agency bashing from her... directed at the agency I teach for; as well as some things she's said that don't seem so good to me(she's been surface cover, and has no training, for example).

For the OP - Did you read the "stickies" at the top of this forum? Very good information can be found there - including how to judge which of your local options might be better for you.

All of the agencies follow the same basic teaching guidelines...The instructors make a big difference..Where I see the big differences is in requirements for advanced cards...in my humble opion,,,the best option is to get certified and then dive...the more you dive the better you will become..but you need to be comfortable with the instructor

Post course buddy availability? Do they have dive-clubs, nights? Go to both, talk and see where the good people hang out.

:hijack:

...However it might be regional(my impression is that CMAS isn't a homogenous agency)

Most probably, and you're right - it's a confederation of agencies and each country has its own peculiarities. And I could go on and on about stupid things the French affiliate of CMAS required.

:focus:

One offers PADI and the other NAUI Certs. Does anyone have a suggestion on which cert to get?

PADI all the way! After all, isn't PADI "The Way the World Learns to Dive".

The main difference would be that PADI is designed to be easy to learn, with as many teaching tools as possible, so courses can be fit to students needs, while some agencies(like BSAC, for an extreme example) are more oldfashioned, and go with the instructor led, lecture style classes, basically it's like being in school. In a PADI course you might as well get to self-study the book, watch a video and then have a Q&A session.

I'm not sure how all the agencies lie on the scale though.

it's not as though recreational diving is rocket science for the majority of fair weather divers [who will most likely never dive without a DM] though.

i liked the flexibality of PADI e-learning. perhaps it needs some tweaking to show the instructor what parts i struggled with, but having got +90% in the complete course it would appear as though I took in most of what i read....

Now i am interested in more of the technical side of what happens to the body when diving, so I'm on the lookout for one or 2 quality texts as reference books for when I'm doing other courses.

Talk to the instructor! Of one or both but..... You must know what to ask... yes!
There is a post by Walter that has a guideline on questions for any instructors. You may want to add or subtract some of the questions, as you feel

Good luck!
See you topside! John

There have been mentions of easy-to-learn, fun, and convenient.

I propose a new topic: "will keep you alive."

Easier isn't always better. Who would you want driving past your child's playground - the one who found his/her driver's ed class easier and more fun, or the one who had to demonstrate more skill?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom