Central Indiana Dives? =)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparkeh

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm 13 and was certified a few months ago... I did my checkout dives up by Logansport in an old quarry hole at France Park, if anyone has been there. :) It was really incredible because the water had a visibility of around 60 feet then because it was so cold. But, for future reference, doing mask floods in 40 degree water in a wetsuit listening to your instructor ramble on about dive procedure isn't all that much fun. xDDD

Anyway, France park was really cool, but there's only so much to do... Are there really any halfway decent spots in Indiana besides muddy quarries?

Welcome to SB Sparkeh! There are lots of local divers on ScubaBoard. Be sure and also check out the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew and the Kentucky Piranha Patrol forums. Most of the IN divers frequent those forums more often than the MMDs for some reason.

I dove France park for the first time last fall. Unfortunately, not much better diving in Indiana than quarries. I dive Blue Springs Quarry alot in Waldron, but that's pretty far SE for you. IMO the best diving in the area is on Lake Michigan. Typically that requires a charter boat, but I've heard of folks also shore diving from a few sites. There are a couple of good charter boats that run trips out of NW IN (East Chicago) and Chicago. There is also a quarry much nicer than France Park in Kankakee, IL, called Haigh Quarry. It's a great place to dive. Lots more stuff to see and tons of fish. Since you probably don't own much of your own gear, Haigh is also nice because they rent gear.

Gilboa might be another option but again it is a quarry. One lake I know of is Natural Springs but again it is a bit of a drive.

If your diving in the midwest you are probably going to be diving in a quarry and it will be a few hours drive.

I'm still in training, but live in central Indiana (Terre Haute), will be cert. May12-13. Will need to find someone and somewhere to dive.

terfmop:
I'm still in training, but live in central Indiana (Terre Haute), will be cert. May12-13. Will need to find someone and somewhere to dive.

I'd suggest you keep an eye on the two forums I mentioned above as well as join the Indy Dive Club. They are based out of Indianapolis (Diver's Supply Indy and Diver's Supply Indy West) but they have events all over the state and midwest (Great Lakes, Mermet, Gilboa).

terfmop:

Well hello fellow Hautian.:D I assume that you are going thorough Fun Time for your class?? Come join us in the KY Piranha Patrol forum. We have all been newbies, some of us more than once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom