Central America -where to dive first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure, but I think it's just about managing expectations. It sounds like OP wants to just see a different area of the world, not necessarily a "better" one.
exactly that . Sounds like this West End place may be worth a visit....
I know AKR isn't some giant hotel, I meant that they have everything. Now that I think about it, I was actually thinking FIBR. The one with the artificial beach and the dolphins. Still not ginormous by any means, but seems to have that AI vibe.
Dolphins? As in 'captive'? There's a place I will never visit then. Appalling.

Feel free to message me or ask more questions, but if you think West End (or Roatan in general) might be the right place....I suggest you head over to the "Bay Islands" subforum on here and try researching/reading and even asking questions there. Many people with many more trips to Roatan than me frequent that forum.

I think Doc covered it pretty good. I would add Isla Socorro for big stuff, liveaboard out of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. ( it is on my list to do.) I would vote for Cozumel or the Belize Islands.

Reactions: Heg
AKR is the place with the dolphins. FIBR is just a place you don't want to go either.

Not sure what your budget is Heg, but you don't have to do downscale to stay and enjoy West End. There's a couple of nice rental houses, condos and a very cool bed and breakfast, etc.

---------- Post added April 8th, 2015 at 03:02 PM ----------

And while I think you could enjoy lttle West End, I also agree with some of the others. If you're looking for big stuff, stsrt in the Sea of Cortes (ie Socorro). It's liveaboard but surely must be easier to get to from Portland. Also, should be trip reports on the subforum that will tell you what to expect. It's a bucket list trip for me.

AKR is the place with the dolphins. FIBR is just a place you don't want to go either.

Not sure what your budget is Heg, but you don't have to do downscale to stay and enjoy West End. There's a couple of nice rental houses, condos and a very cool bed and breakfast, etc.
We are happy with mid range stuff. We just require a clean, comfortable place to stay with air con or a fan and access to good food.

And while I think you could enjoy lttle West End, I also agree with some of the others. If you're looking for big stuff, stsrt in the Sea of Cortes (ie Socorro). It's liveaboard but surely must be easier to get to from Portland. Also, should be trip reports on the subforum that will tell you what to expect. It's a bucket list trip for me.
Also on our bucket list. And we love liveaboards... Whilst we are happy to see the big stuff, we are also love walls and coral gardens. Just back from Raja Ampat and the corals there were stunning.

Yes, I was in Raja Ampat last year. Was a bit hard to come back to Caribbean diving but I just had to accept the differences.

I think you'll like the diving at Roatan but perhaps you'd be better off staying out at the Atolls in Belize. As much ss I enjiy the walls diving out of West End, it's very hard to best Half Moon Caye wall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom