Cenotes = sinkholes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timetraveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Many years ago, I used to dive sinkholes in Florida. They were cold with terrible visability and little or nothing to see. Is that what the cenotes in Mexico are?

To answer your question: NO. They are sinkholes, but the temp is arouind 78F and the visibility (at least in the ones I dove) was nothing short of amazing. My cenote dives rank up there among my best ever.

Like Paco said. The cenotes are gin clear and fairly warm (around 74 when I dove them in January). Lots of great formations to see and beautiful jungle entries. When the sun finds its way through a small crack or opening in the ceiling, there is nothing more spectacular.

Cenote diving is nothing short of amazing. It's not something to do many times but you've got to do it at least once (or twice). The visibility is spectacular. The only time it's "fuzzy" is when you swim between the salt water and fresh water. That in itself is an experience to behold. You get the sensation when you come into the fresh water from the salt water that you can take your mask off and breath air, it's so clear. If you've ever been to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, the stalactites and statlagmites in the cenotes are similar, only they're under water. I also agree the most beautiful sight is when you see the sun light shining through the holes in the ground reflecting off the bottom and shining back up again. Simply amazing!! Not to be missed.

Just stay out of the blackwater Yucatan cenotes... only the loonies go into those things. Most of those are deep in the jungle.

husband and i did our first cenote dive in november down about an hour and a half south of cancun. it was awesome!!!! neat formations, just a totally neat experience. would love to do more!!! awesome visibility.

and i'd like to put in a word in defense of nfl's sinks...going this weekend!! woo hoo!!!

(on ncdivers, we have a drowned bat smilie, so imagine that here. they even have a pink one for me 'cause they love me.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom