Cenotes - good or bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John,

I dove Dos Ojos in 2001. No tight passages that I recall. I was an air hog back then also, but made the trail with gas to spare.

You won't be disappointed. I'm not much into caves, but I had a great time. The first plunge into the cavern zone is a bit unnerving, but you get used to it quickly. Once you make this transition, it is fun.

PS. Bring a camera. The water is so clear you will not believe it.

I did my first guided cenote dives in Chac Mool. Absolutely fantastic. It was definitely some of the most spectacular diving I've ever done....definitely made me want to pursue formal cavern training.

Jim

You can get into Dos Ojos via a ladder in the Bat room, or via "open air" at another entrance... can't remember the name. Or am I thinking of Chac Mool? Either system has an antrance that doesn't require a ladder.

And yes, one of my top 10 dives.

No ladder at Chac Mool, at least where we went in. There is about a storey and a half of crooked steps to deal with, which weren't as bad as it sounds, with an easy, large entry area.

J

I dove Chak Mool last month with Manta Divers.
Great dives, very safe, excellent DM (Leif) & briefing on the way down. The Aquaworld van arrived while we were going in- when we got out, they were eating a box lunch while being hurried back into the van. We stopped in Playa for some great food, which was included in the dive price (less the beers).
All highly recommended! Here;s a pic of Leif on dive 1.
-Eric

Leif is the German Caver working for Manta, yes.

Leif (pronounced "life") is good! (Get it? :D ) We dove Dos Ojos with him. We went back and dove with Luis (lew-eese) at Chac Mool.

Manta is good people. They were very disorganized when we were there, but they had recently been displaced, and Mimi was not there to help run things. We never left or were picked up on time being my chief complaint. But I repeat, *great* people and DMs.

I've been in Choc Maal, Tajmahal, and Dos Ojos with Sealife Divers. I am a tad bit claustrophobic, but had no problem. They only allow 4 divers per guide, and as I understand it the guides are all CAVE certified. I thought all of these dives were very beautiful, and am planning on doing my cavern specialty class when I'm there in February. By the way if your interested I do have some photos of the entrances and in the caverns that I can share with you. I would put them on a website, but I've never taken the effort to learn how. Be sure to wear a full wet suit. The water temp is fairly constant at 72 F and you will get cold on the second dive if you don't wear the proper exposure suit.

I think it would be a wonderful experience for your sons. However, if you're going to go you should check out Abyss Dive Shop in Playa Del Carmen. They are by far the most knowledgeable and professional in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom