Cenote Diving suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dennis, as mentioned, is a very good guy. Two other delightful people I know who do guiding are Natalie Gibb and Jason Renoux. Both are fun to be around, knowledgeable about the caves, and safety-conscious. Plus Jason has just got his certification to teach through Intro to Cave, so if you got the bug and wanted to do a cavern class, you could go ahead and do it with him!
Another great DM for Cenote dives is Matt at Blue Angel. He was on the National Geographic expedition that mapped the caves under Tulum, and is a excellent cave diver and all-around instructor.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned German Yañez, by far the most experienced cave/cavern guide & Instructor, in the entire Yucatan Peninsula. In the last 10+ years there has of course been an explosion of shops, guides etc, in the riviera, but long before any of them showed up, German Yañez of Yucatech Expeditions, has already racked up more dives and experience, than any of the people doing it now. And he's a HECK of a nice guy to boot, very easy going, friendly and all around pleasant. He's the Cave Diving Safety Officer for the NACD, NSS-CDS since 1998, and probably has more cave/cavern dives in the yucatan, than anyone else. You can read more about him and contact him through his website, needless to say I (and many others that don't read Scuba Board) highly recommend him...

Yucatech Expeditions. Instructor Biography.

Gran%20Cenote.jpg

I don't think anyone would question German's quals, not to mention him being one of the nicest guys in the sport.. The only thing that might be a problem is his availability due to travel, training, etc..

And if you want to discuss the 'cream of the crop' in exploration in this part of the world, you also have Steve Bogaerts: AZTEC DIVING - INSTRUCTION - EXPLORATION - GUIDING

That being said, I'm not sure what benefit the average cenote tourist diver is going to enjoy with German or Steve over those already mentioned in this thread - who are diving and leading groups practically every day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom