Cell phone communications from liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabob1234

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any success using a cell phone or satellite phone on a liveaboard?
Right now I'm looking at liveaboards in Belize, Honduras & Costa Rica.

scubabob1234:
Has anyone had any success using a cell phone or satellite phone on a liveaboard?
Right now I'm looking at liveaboards in Belize, Honduras & Costa Rica.

A cell is only good for about 20 miles from the tower.

A Sat phone works anywhere on earth with a clear view of the sky. I've used an Iridium phone between FL and the Bahamas as well as in Tanzania, Africa. They work very well but are a bit expensive. $1.20/minute My trip to Africa ended up costing about $200 in phone calls. You can rent the phone for $50 or so.

outlawaggie:
A cell is only good for about 20 miles from the tower.

In Costa Rica and other central American Countries, the reception on cell phones is pretty limited. I would recomend to rent a satellite phone. They work everywhere !.
I rented one from www.phonerentalusa.com on a trip to Ciudad Cortez in Costa Rica and It worked great. Those guys are really focused on customer service.

A lot of the live-aboards have sat phones that you can use. They cost about $7+ per minute, but one of the best parts of a live-aboard is disappearing.

I went to Belize last year aboard PH Sundancer. I took my verizon cell but had little success in usuing it. Fortunately I also took an Iridium sattelite phone from [GMPCS-US.COM] I had no problem at all using it from the top deck of the boat. I believe the cost was 1.80 /min and 40 /week for the phone. They ship it directly to your home and give you a return box to send it back,along with three days to get it there.
I know that alot of folks say that one takes a live-a-board to escape the rat race....but I found that it was nice to stay connected to Mrs. Rat at the house.

divebuddy68:
A lot of the live-aboards have sat phones that you can use. They cost about $7+ per minute, but one of the best parts of a live-aboard is disappearing.

I have to agree with divebuddy68 every Liveaboard I've been on in the last five years have been happy to let you use there Phone, as long as you pay the fee! But if you want to make more than a few calls in the week get a Sat Phone. Cells don't work very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom