Cedar Hills Reservoir #1 - Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well, Flyingsherpa (Chris) took me up on my invitation to dive my lake. We were scheduled to go Sunday but the weather report looked better for Saturday (wrong) so we moved it up a day.

This was a big change for me, leading instead of following and I did pretty well.

The water was generally in the high 60s but being spring fed, there was some chilly spots for sure.

First dive out, stayed shallow (19') for 48 min. Didn't see much and to go deeper was kinda scary, even flyingsherpa was aprehensive so we kept it mellow. It is like a black hole, the bottom is black and decending into it is very creepy.

Flying sherpa hit paydirt though and found a dollar bill clear as day, along with some fishing poles, sun glasses and a old boot.

Second dive, the sun broke through a little and really helped. We saw a number of different fish, small mouth bass, sun fish, perch (the perch were really freaked out and didn't like us very much). Had very defensive postures with their dorsal fins erect. Tryed to feed the fish corn but no takers, they just didn't know what to make of us and I think we were really noisy to them. They reacted so much differently when I was just snorkelling with them.

Basically I really got to practice my navigation and was pleasantly surprised that I did better than I thought.

You going to do anouther dive to find the other boot :)
I love diving in lakes and pond and rivers!
You never know what you will find. Fishing stuff money
anchors old bottles etc.
Rick L

Come on down and see if you are brave enough to go into the black abyss.... I'll follow, but I will not lead... CREEPY

Acutally think it may have been better had the sun come out. Flyingsherpa took a camera, got a picture of my FACE... What a guy!

but at least we were able to get wet! yes, i was dumb and did not rent a compass so that sort of forced shellbird to lead the whole time... it was pretty hard to go straight just on sight.

we logged it as 4-10' viz but the 10 is pretty optimistic, maybe almost that in the shallows but out deeper it was truly a black hole. it was funny because we both got freaked out at the same point while trying to out deeper. we both just stopped and looked at each other, then at the black hole, and turned around. it was really eerie having no visual reference at all in any direction.

so it was great to meet another member of the board, shellbird was a great host letting a complete stranger into her house to gear up and even providing some post-dive grub. thanks michele! the next meal is on me.

it was fun, but i'm not sure i would dive there again unless it was REALLY sunny out to cut down on the gloom and doom down there.

chris

Did you see how beautiful the day turned out yesterday? I was going to call you back and see if you wanted to give it another try but LDS is closed Sundays and I didn't have that much air left anyway. We watched football instead, you are welcome to stop by for football anytime as well, it was great meeting you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom