Cebu Pacific Airlines - Sports Package / Scuba Gear (Dumaguete- Tagbilaran)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jzic

New
Reaction score
Greetings!

We are making travel plans and looking at Cebu Pacific flights. The information on their website regarding Scuba equipment, under their Sports Package (baggage) states dive gear:

"must be packed in a Hard Shell Container specifically designed for shipping".

We usually travel with our dive gear packed in either a Duffle bag or in luggage with wheels. Is it going to be a problem if we don't have it packed in a "Hard Shell Container"?

We will be traveling between Manilla - Dumaguete- Tagbilaran, with ferries in between the islands.

Thank you in advance for any advise!

(Also any tips you might have on where to stay in Dumaguete and Pangloa . . . . reasonably priced, not high end, but clean & comfortable (hot water, etc) :) . . . and good reputable dive outfits in those areas? :)

The sport package is an expensive joke!!!! And you have to pack them separately as well. Just purchase what is necessary(upward to 40kg) for you.
I had used Sea Quest for diving on Panglao before and it was fine.

I've traveled on Cebu Pacific with the sports package a fair amount, and it's sometimes but not always problematic. The sports gear weight can't be increased from 15 kg, for example, and they won't necessarily bundle your whole baggage weight into one total (though sometimes they do), so if you pay extra for baggage when you book, you may not be able to credit any unused weight from the regular checked baggage to the sports bag. At Tagbilaran I was made to remove stuff from the gear bag and stuff it into the regular checked bag to get the gear bag down to the weight they wanted (and it was only like 2 kg over). They've never given me any trouble about the kind of bag the gear was packed in, and mine is not a hard shell.

According to Cebu Pacific web site Sport Equipment is P1,000.00 per sector and is limited to 15kg.
From Manila to Dumaguete the pre-paid baggage(per sector) is as follow:
15kg: P150.00
20kg: P280.00
30kg: P450.00
45kg: P900.00
If you purchase a sport package + 15kg check in allowance = P150.00 + P1,000.00 = P1,150.00
If you purchase the 30kg check in which is P450.00, a saving of P700.00 per sector ie P1,400.00 return.
Your money and your choice.

I think these sport package are for the golf kits / surf boards. More of odd shaped sport equipment. ..

Hi! Thank you all for the good info! I'm sure you're right . . . our flights are booked, no silly 'sports package'.

Happy diving :)

Hi used CP many times flying with scuba gear in duffle bag.

Just make sure to purchase the correct weight for your gear. One thing to add they are pretty strict on your carry on bag only allow 7kg. In terminal 3 Manila they weigh the bag before you go through imigration after check in. If it's over they make you return to the ticket counter to pay and check in the carry on bag. By this time your other check in baggage has already been processed so don't count on being able to put items in those bags. A laptop may be carried separtely and not included in the carry on weight.

Hope this helps enjoy your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom