CE Requirement in Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackfrogfeet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am aware that only CE rebreathers can be bought and sold in Europe. My question is: in what European countries is it a non-issue to show up as a tourist to a dive boat or other dive outfit with a non CE unit, and in what countries are you going to be booted off the boat.

I'm looking to hear from any personal experiences people have had. I have read a lot of comments in this forum that mention France being especially strict on CE compliance.

I dive a KISS Classic which is not CE, and it's never an issue on UK boats or at UK inland diving centres, you struggle to get training on non-CE products that may have been bought 2nd hand, although some instructors have found "creative" ways around the rules.

In terms of usage though its not an issue, it's also very rare to be asked for certification proof on UK charter boats.

You can get training on non CE products here, only the instructor has to dive a CE unit. Then no problem.

I own 1 CE unit (inspiration) and 1 non CE unit (sidekick). I dive with both, in both cases insuranced, I only cannot teach when diving the Sidekick. Or I can do, but if something happens, I have the ****.

Nobody in Sweden or Norway cares if you dive a non-CE unit.
Norway and the UK aren't in the EU.

Not sure that anyone cares about using a non-CE certified unit except for when "at work"; thus teaching is a challenge.

TBH few people other than the rebreather community could tell the difference between a rebreather and a refrigerator, let alone understand the CE status and rules.

There's plenty of Kiss rebreathers seen on dive boats in the UK. They're not CE certified.

I can confirm it'll be extremely difficult to dive a non CE rig in France.

I can confirm it'll be extremely difficult to dive a non CE rig in France.
What do they do: expect you to turn up with the certification documents, your log book, training notes and cards?

How do they know if the pair of 3 litre cylinders you've brought in for filling are going on a non-CE rebreather?

What do they do: expect you to turn up with the certification documents, your log book, training notes and cards?

How do they know if the pair of 3 litre cylinders you've brought in for filling are going on a non-CE rebreather?
Well, you'll be asked for your certification on your machine, some operators check the log book, some don't.

Concerning the CE, they won't check the machine itself. They just refer to a list of CE approved rigs, if yours is not there, no diving for you.

Maybe if you just require filling and dive on your own it'll be ok, but no guarantee on it.

Norway and the UK aren't in the EU.
The OP asked about "Europe"

I offered information about 2 countries more than the UK already mentioned - which also isnt in the EU lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom