CCV during January---anyone going there.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cocoview in January? Okay!

My wife and I and a friend will be there Jan 28 - Feb 4. We're planning to take it easy and not do more than 5 dives a day.

-- Larry "How can 2 and a half weeks seem like such a long time?" B.

Jason,

Congrats on the CCV trip! Can you post up water temperatures?

-- Larry "just 2 more weeks..." B.

Hey Larry, the water temp was maybe 77-80 F all week this week.

Anyway, I had a great time! The staff, the other divers, the seahorses, the octopuses, the squids, the hammocks, the food, all great. :) As you all know by now, I went by myself, but I got adopted up right away. I managed to dive every night, with an assortment of fun buddies, so I was totally satisfied.

Anyway, I had a great time! The staff, the other divers, the seahorses, the octopuses, the squids, the hammocks, the food, all great. :) As you all know by now, I went by myself, but I got adopted up right away. I managed to dive every night, with an assortment of fun buddies, so I was totally satisfied.

Your a hell of a diver kt... Hope to do it again someday...! I am sure you have some pictures coming from others but after I sort through mine, I will send you the choice ones...!!!

I may have to start a countdown for the kelp beds... <smiling>

Be safe...!
lee and T

Your a hell of a diver kt... Hope to do it again someday...! I am sure you have some pictures coming from others but after I sort through mine, I will send you the choice ones...!!!

I may have to start a countdown for the kelp beds... <smiling>

Be safe...!
lee and T

Aww, thanks Lee! It was fantastic diving with you, and I'm beyond tickled with my seahorse picture, not to mention the meg tooth :) More pics would be great too...

Anyway, the sea lions will be waiting for you guys!

Hey Larry, the water temp was maybe 77-80 F all week this week.

ktkt,

Thanks for the water temps! Glad to hear that you had a great time.

-- Larry "4.5 days and counting!" B.

The CCV DM's hunt Lionfish, but are very good at not doing this at the expense of leading a naturalist dive.

Unfortunately, the South Side is fairly unpopulated by any volume of divers. Fantasy Island is all but shut down, so it really only leaves CCV, RHR and BFK.

Fortunately, Lionfish seem to be very micro-territorial. As long as you keep cracking them, it keeps the apparent total localized population in check. I would not stop for more than a week, though.

As to SoCalBlueFlame your comments may be valid, but it is very hard to figure why you would put this on a guest comment form or even as any kind of entry on ScubaBoard.

If you're all that alarmed, as a PADI Professional, you were smart to reduce this to writing and file a report with PADI Standards Violations. Good luck with that one, as PADI Corporate knows this operation with great & historic intimacy. It is used as a model for PADI operations, likely you have seen materials generated by their work in the past. They even dump record all computer logs, both for instructor and student. I encourage you, by all means, have at it- but on this, you'll have to sign your full name, not just "CC" it.

Methinks you had other issues, maybe?

A good friend of mine was a guest there during your stay. He mentioned that on the first day, you caused such a fuss about the way the 'dive boys' rigged your gear, they then just decided to carry your gear aboard after that and didn't rig your gear. Jesse and Reuben, the DM's who ran that boat are likely the best operators in the industry. You made it known that you are a PADI Course Director (true enuf) and that you "train Navy SEALs". (Oky doke :amazed: on that one)

This isn't you referenced in these internet forums?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Military/comments/ivw1z/iae_really_suspicious_of_other_veterans_when_they/
C 3 :hm:
Same name, same Scuba Shop, same SEAL Team VI member.... before they were popular!

I see that you have been a dive pro for 15 years and have over 5,000 dives. That's a minimum of one dive per day each day of your career. So I guess you are a diver man, fer sure.

Anyway, my old buddy who was there at the same time easily remembered you and your story when I called him to ask. Otherwise, it's kinda' funny, being as old as he is and his having so many Nitrogen lesions on his brain- he can't remember if he had oatmeal for breakfast, but you... he recalled vividly. He was also in Law Enforcement, so he has an eye and a memory for certain very specific behaviors.

The student you referenced? Her companion is a veteran Law Enforcement trainer (not my old friend as mentioned above) who is a very experienced diver. He saw no issues or violations with his GF, and her computer logs bore this out. But he did have a moment to speak with one of your students who mentioned that you had taken him to 150'. Your student even showed the boyfriend his computer. Your student asked, "Should we have done that?". (Possibly you could fill us in on the PADI S&P for that one?)

BTW- when you make reservations, and then when all guests and leaders fill out the forms upon arrival- CCV asks is there are "any special occasions" being celebrated. It is up to you or your trip participants to list that, or no... the staff doesn't know if it's your 1st Lifetime Dive or just your 1st dive to 150'.

Not everyone likes every place, and yes, even some people don't like ice cream. Sorry it didn't work out for you, may I suggest Fantasy Island Resort - Bienvenidos It is just 200 yards to the West.

BTW- great first post.

One of your better posts RM. I don't know what to think about the PADI stuff, but allegations that the guys in the crew ignored them and would set up their gear is ridiculous. One of CCV's finest features is the lockerroom/boat combination. Many thousands have raved about how well their gear was treated. Its great how it's set for you if you opt for the boat twice a day. I've seen them make adjustments as requested if people have specific requests. Yet somehow, in this case, they made a snap decission to ignore these two and leave them to their own devices. Misserable people.

Back
Top Bottom