CCR supported locations throughout the Indo-Pacific

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you very much for such a thorough overview of the Philippines. I've spoken to a potential local collaborator who mentioned quite a few of the same dive shops, although I wasn't aware of some that you mentioned so thanks for that. Marine Conservation Philippines definitely sounds like it would be worth me contacting.

I've only ever been to Bohol and Apo/Dauin, just for rec OC dives, but I do remember longingly looking down some steep walls at both of these locations. Apo would be nice but seems like it would be a bit more of a pain logistically. Having spent the last two years in Taiwan I'm keen to avoid anywhere with strong seasonal changes in diving conditions!

You're definitely correct about the Philippines being easier than Indo for permits. It actually sounds relatively straight forward by comparison. Their universities also seem a bit more open to international collaboration.

As much as I love Indonesia, opting for the Philippines instead sounds like it would make my life a lot easier.

Thanks again!

Jheard89, just a word of caution about diving in the central Visayas. I dived with Alona Divers back in 2005, and while the resort and staff were very nice, there were almost no medium or large fish inside the main “marine park“, which had people fishing everywhere in it. The only good diving, which you had to pay extra for, was at Pamilacan Island, which is outside the marine park and owned by the village. Who of course managed the fishing practices much better. I saw 2 giant Napoleon Wrasse and a monster giant trevally around 50m. Lots of fish around that island, but everywhere else we went was fished out. I can’t imagine the fish populations in that area have increased in the last 15 years.

I’m sure there is still good Philippines diving, but I would look for places which have low population density and deep water nearby. The east coast of Samar or any other east coast facing the open ocean, are probably worth looking at. Fuel prices are historically low, so boat hiring should be very reasonable.

Another land based suggestion I just thought of is Timor:

Atauro Dive Resort – Timor Leste – Diving and Accommodation in Timor-Leste (East Timor)

There are daily direct flights from Jakarta. I exchanged a few emails with them a while back and they said they could get O2. It’s mostly shore diving, so it would be very easy and probably a very good value as well. The bio density and diversity is supposed to be first rate.

Happy trails, -Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom