CCR & Roatan - has anyone ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanimal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am headed to Roatan in May and now with my new CCR I of course want to use it. It seems however that O2 fills are a lot harder to come by. Several of the resorts offer nitrox but will not do O2 fills. Do any of you have experience that you can pass on regarding getting O2 fills in Roatan?

Thanks,

Hi scubanimal, I just did my CCR Tmix training at Bay Islands Beach Resort Roatan in Feb. They had plenty of O2, wasn't cheap though-$150(?)can't remember-for the week. They had a funny deal where you paid a flat rate per week for all-you-can-breathe O2. I was told that this was left over from OC deco tech diving services, provided years ago and that they were going to change it for CCR divers. You should call up and ask, maybe they'd be cooler and bargain with you, if you deal with it ahead of time, before you make a reservation. I liked the resort very much, food was decent most of the time. I'm pretty sure they have some fresh 6-12 Sodasorb left there as well as there were 15 Prism divers that came the week after me. I think the person you want to talk to is a woman named Cam. -Andy

Thanks, I'll try that!

Were you able to get sorb down there?
What did you need to bring as far as bottles?

I'm finally training on my KISS in 2 weeks, and doing a week at Inn of Last Resort in October.

grunzster:
Were you able to get sorb down there?
What did you need to bring as far as bottles?

I'm finally training on my KISS in 2 weeks, and doing a week at Inn of Last Resort in October.

Hello grunzster, I don't know if scubanimal went, but when i was there, they had a lot of sorb, so there should be 6-12 Sodasorb at BIBR. I think there is some AL 19s with DIN valves, ala Prism. Call, or email them... -Andy

That's great!

I was originally hearing, I'd have to bring pretty much everything except the O2 in my tanks.

What did you do for bail out?

Unless you dive a PRISM or Shadow Pack remember that those two units have the left/right hand valves on the opposite side, so depending on your rebreather you'll probably have to change them. I just had to do that using SP tanks on the Sport Kiss.

grunzster:
That's great!

I was originally hearing, I'd have to bring pretty much everything except the O2 in my tanks.

What did you do for bail out?

Gruzster, make sure you check with BIBR about the sorb and cylinders. Talk to Cam. I forgot about the Prism directional valves. I used an AL 80 for BO as I was doing tmix training, deeper dives. I think I saw some 30s and 40s. Again, check with Cam, she's friendly. Or she might refer you to the dive operations guy, can't remember his name... Good luck, -Andy

Whats available in Roatan:

BIBR has sorb (most of the time) and has O2 (95%) up to 2000 psi. AKR has tanks but you need to bring your own whip, psi will be what ever. BIBR did not have much by way of tanks to rent, but AKR had many sizes, but only onesy - twosies. Diving a Dolphin is fairly easy at most places, but if you want 95% (high as it goes there) you have to go to BIBR or AKR.
I am still waiting for a price for renting sorb, and its been a couple months.

BIBR does rebreather (prism) training several times a year and at that time you could probably expect more supplies to be available.

Finally, Continental does not allow compressed air cylinders period (according to their P&P online).

For me, I have to leave my brand new in the box Inspiration at home as I decided it was just too much of a pain. So its back to a BP/W and noisy bubbles. Next time we are going to an RB friendly place...... Palau.

scubanimal:
Whats available in Roatan:

BIBR has sorb (most of the time) and has O2 (95%) up to 2000 psi. AKR has tanks but you need to bring your own whip, psi will be what ever. BIBR did not have much by way of tanks to rent, but AKR had many sizes, but only onesy - twosies. Diving a Dolphin is fairly easy at most places, but if you want 95% (high as it goes there) you have to go to BIBR or AKR.
I am still waiting for a price for renting sorb, and its been a couple months.

BIBR does rebreather (prism) training several times a year and at that time you could probably expect more supplies to be available.

Finally, Continental does not allow compressed air cylinders period (according to their P&P online).

For me, I have to leave my brand new in the box Inspiration at home as I decided it was just too much of a pain. So its back to a BP/W and noisy bubbles. Next time we are going to an RB friendly place...... Palau.

Scubanimal, look closely at the Continental policy, I double checked this a few months ago with 2 people in their office, and unless they changed it since then, they mean you can't bring any cylinders outside of your checked luggage or in carry on. It's worded very badly. I had no problem putting my 2 19cuft Prism cyls in my luggage. I managed to bring my Prism BP, cowling, and cyls in one bag and my clothes and a bucket of sorb in the other, both at 55lbs. I carried on the head and loop. They are serious about the luggage weight limits, but the overweight charge is only $25... Other than that, it's not bad as RB friendly destinations go, diving's not the best though, other than the wrecks, Belize is better. -Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom