Question CCR for recreational depths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My OW training in 1975-76 was done mostly using the Cressi ARO, a pure oxygen CC rebreather.
At the time maximum ppO2 was 2 bars, so I am certified for recreational use of these rebreathers down to 10m.
After finishing the course (6 months), I used the ARO for some nice shallow dives in the sea.
Being silent allows to come closer to fish.
And the constant buoyancy and perfect vertical trim allows to stay perfectly immobile in the water column for working or making photos.
But there are many drawbacks.
Swimming horizontally is difficult with a chest-mounted counterlung, the depth limitation is severe (and now it is just 6 meters), and the combination if pure oxygen and soda lyme is quite irritating for the airways.
So after less than a dozen dives in the sea, both I and my wife gave up entirely and continued diving with air tanks exclusively.
Simplicity wins in the end.
We also never considered modern rebreathers operating with mixed gas. Too complex, too risky.
Perhaps they make sense for deep diving with helium, but we did always dive safely with air down to the maximum depth allowed by our recreational certification (50m with deco).
I do not see on the market any significant evolution making a CC or SC rebreather to be appealing for normal recreational diving.
For specific tasks, where being silent is important, instead, a CC rebreather is a very useful device also at moderate depths.

No. As previously explained, you can't descend below 20FSW without increasing your risk of toxing.
However, I love my SF2 rebreather for recreational depths.

NO FREAKIN' BUBBLES!!!

Fish abhor creatures farting out of their face but if you're on a rebreather, they'll let you get incredibly close without having to hold your breath. I also get to hear more of the reef sounds I missed on OC. Picasso!
Worth it (any CCR) for NDL-only divers?

Worth it (any CCR) for NDL-only divers?
Define "worth"?

CCR is a very expensive way to make nitrox (on the fly) there is no way you will "save money" on any CCR as a recreational NDL diver. Once you are doing >~110ft dives and wanting helium then you can start to shift the dollars per minute bottom time equation.

But also no bubbles so very photogenic, NDL times are longer too. But if you are cold, or can only dive at slack water, only do square profiles (eg Great Lakes wrecks), or the boat wants you out of the water within X minutes etc then there's not much point in CCR. Assuming you carry adequate bailout, CCR is not going to be "lighter" and less strain on your back.

Ndl diving.. absolutely. I had a unit 2 years in the closet I didn't think I could utilize for ndl dives and when I finally did it I only got air Dil no deco, and it's been absolutely life changing for me. I love it.

Ndl diving.. absolutely. I had a unit 2 years in the closet I didn't think I could utilize for ndl dives and when I finally did it I only got air Dil no deco, and it's been absolutely life changing for me. I love it.
How so?

It's extremely relaxing. I find it very comfortable knowing that I am limited by my NDL and planning versus turn pressure in twin 104's. I find the strategies for problem solving intuitive. It's both easier than I thought and a very welcome challenge. Knowing your po2 is easy. 2 hour ndl dives are normal. It's like taking a Xanax 😂. There's no sense of ticking clock on ndl dives (decreasing gas pressure)- just an oxygen SPG which will last a pretty long time.

I have an open circuit trimix back ground and I didn't want to start over but here I am.

It's extremely relaxing. I find it very comfortable knowing that I am limited by my NDL and planning versus turn pressure in twin 104's. I find the strategies for problem solving intuitive. It's both easier than I thought and a very welcome challenge. Knowing your po2 is easy. 2 hour ndl dives are normal. It's like taking a Xanax 😂. There's no sense of ticking clock on ndl dives (decreasing gas pressure)- just an oxygen SPG which will last a pretty long time.

I have an open circuit trimix back ground and I didn't want to start over but here I am.
What about bailout, if any?

Since I know the designer and builder of the RD1 Oxygen Rebreather, Mike Lombardi ....
Mike Lombardi is a commercial diver, scientist, engineer and inventor. Mostly self-taught I am pretty sure, ...
I found this you tube, on his Mike Lombardi's website, really nice story about a guy with Muscular dystrophy diving

My question is would this [oxygen rebreather] be a viable option? With a upgraded DR1 would it be a viable way to dive within recreational limits? With a system like this would it a kin to breathing Nitrox at a fixed ratio or would it would the gas blend be adjustable like used in other CCRs? This is mostly an academic exercise, but I would not mind being able to go out on my usual underwater bumbles, which normally range from 30-60 FSW without having tank pressure as my limiting factor.
Rebreather diving is fantastic. No gas limits and a feeling of calm underwater. They're so flexible and, in the case of deeper diving, are far cheaper and safer to run than open circuit.

In the shallows; 9m/30ft to 18m/60ft a rebreather is great, particularly due to the lack of bubbles and the inherent stability. However, they will be more expensive to run at these shallow depths compared with open circuit.

The 'fixed' rebreather costs are considerably higher than open circuit. Maintenance, more cylinders, new cells, repairs. Rebreather marginal costs are higher as you need to properly prepare your unit and replace the scrubber sodalime, you also need high pressure oxygen. Although it could be argued that for a weekend's recreational diving you could do say 4 hours on the rebreather whilst the open circuit people would need, say, 4 tank fills.

Training is a bigger cost. You need a full week's training for MOD1 and must spend time practising. Lots of time practising.

Rebreather's are not for everyone. This is the attitude thing. You must take care of the rebreather; you must do the post dive maintenance; you must do thorough cleaning; you must store it correctly; you must use checklists for assembly; you must use checklists when you kit up and turn the unit on; you must be pedantic and that final check before you jump in. Preparation will be hours in the early days. Rebreathers are most definitely not for people who throw their kit into a heap and leave it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom