CC: whats causing this blur?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How are the other shots from this outing? 1/100 should be plenty fast enough to not have motion blur.

You did say 1/100 F4.5 right?

Were you battling a current? It seems like several portions are blurred.

Yep 1/100 and these things dont move all that fast. There was a strong surge but objects like the stick in the top left and the weed in the forground aren't that much blured - if the camera was moving I'd expect all parts of the shot to be equally blurred?

I think the biggest problem was that I was in auto testing out the new strobe I had bought: if I had closed the apature down and upped the strobe power it would have been crisp.

I think so more trail and error is needed...

Cheers,
Rohan.

IMO CA accompanied by shallow DOF, and a shutter speed that may not stop subject movement! It's really rather hard to judge based on the low resolution image provided.

It is likely not refraction based on an aperture of f4.5? However 1/100 is not necessarily enough to stop action if you are in a surge, or the critter can make sudden movements...Can it? :D That will contribute to overall softness.

CA (chromatic Aberration) is the most likely reason for the halo effect. It can occur both in a Longitudinal and Lateral way in the same image. One thing to consider, you are shooting a 6 element lens, and shoving additional glass in front of that. it also could be increased by the add on lens not getting aligned well.

Sorry for the lack of commitment in what this may be, but if you really want accurate advice, I'd suggest a full res image so we can see what is going on.

Are you getting one sharp image from the strobe and a "second image" from ambient light with a slow shutter speed?

I am not into UW photography but when shooting macro topside with flash I always used to step the aperture down to f22 for max depth of field and to eliminate ghost images

Back
Top Bottom