Cayman Shark Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knockneed Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi All,
I tried running a search for this, but couldnt find any answers. Are there any good shark or pelagic dives off of either GC or LC? Heading there the first week of June, and would love to see some bigger things.
Thanks!

Not a whole lot of sharks in Grand Cayman, as far as I know. Great divng, though. The only place I heard of the possibility of seeing sharks was on the east End of GC. That is also where the best diving was, by far....
Enjoy!

Stingray City and I have heard that someone was trying to organize something on the east end of GC! I would ask when you get there they will know, small Island and news travels fast!

It's not really something Cayman is known for. If you dive for a week in Cayman you will very likely see a few sharks or eagle rays during the week whatever area you are diving in, but I don't know that any particular area has so many more that I would base my planning on it. Even on sites with promising sounding names like "Blacktip Boulevard" I don't think you're that much more likely to see them. You will probably see a fair number of turtles, and there's a good chance of spotting stingrays anyplace you have sand flats, especially if you are looking for them hiding in the sand.

By the way, since you ask about GC and LC - are you actually splitting your stay between the islands? In case you are staying on GC and thinking you will dive on LC too, you won't. It's too far and not a dayboat thing, even the liveaboards don't always make it across.

Grand Cayman briefly had a shark feeding dive back in 2001, 2002, somewhere around then...but someone correct me if I'm wrong here....

I thought the Cayman islands banned shark feeding around 2002 or 2003?
Around the same time as Florida...
but I thought Cayman islands banned ONLY shark feeding???

I know you can feed the eels, stingrays, and other stuff...but no sharks.
And we all know, you either need to be chumming, feeding, or spearing to see them for any length of time.

In my opinion, Grand Cayman is not the place to go if you want to see sharks up close, but it sure is a beautiful place!!!!!

Enjoy your trip...

Thanks everyone. Yes, we're splitting time with several days on each island. Very psyched about the trip. If there are any "must do's" feel free to offer those up. I'm sure we'll do Stingray City and some of the Bloody Bay Wall, but havent researched it in-depth yet. Thanks again.

I was in Little Cayman February of 2007. We saw spotted eagle rays on three separate dives, nurse sharks on two separate dives, and small blacktips on two separate dives. Both blacktips were spotted from a decent distance. It was nothing like the Bahamas, but I was very surprised as I didn't expect to see the blacktips. On the bright side of things. Out of 17 dives we saw turtles on 14. Some dives we saw four or five... actually quit counting a few days into the trip.

Thanks everyone. Yes, we're splitting time with several days on each island. Very psyched about the trip. If there are any "must do's" feel free to offer those up. I'm sure we'll do Stingray City and some of the Bloody Bay Wall, but havent researched it in-depth yet. Thanks again.

As far as must do on GC. dive the East End as much as possible. It is by far the best diving on the island. The North wall is nice too.

We saw a reef shark at Pat's Wall on Sat - other good sites for sightings at East End are Jack's, Scuba Bowl & the Maze.

On the N. Wall there's currently a semi-resident reef shark at Tarpon Alley & a hammerhead was seen at Black Forest last Sat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom