Cayman Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got back a few days ago from a fun trip to Cayman. As well as the awesome dives this one included a ride in a Houston PD squad car and being jumped by a Divemistress :wink:

Drove over to Houston on Memorial day. Stayed at the Hampton by IAH .Left the car at the hotel for the week ($10) Flight was at the uncivilized hour of 6 a.m:shakehead:
Too early for the hotel shuttle and the booked taxi did not turn up. A couple of cops were hanging out flirting with the girl at the front desk.One of them offered us a ride to the airport. I got the backseat.Not the most comfortable but I wasn't complaining.
Officer Ramirez,Thank You sir !

Got to Cobalt Coast around mid day,had some lunch and went diving. Life was good.
I was diving sidemount,buddy independent doubles. Why? Well,that meant we could take Divetech up on their unlimited nitrox. Throw in a few deco tanks and you have the makings of a great week .

Did 8 dives in 6 1/2 days. (Quality rather than quantity you know) 2 at Cobalt Coast (Surface Swim gets old) 5 at Lighthouse Point (Coffee and muffins pre dive,smoothies post dive. Perfect ! ) One on the North East Coast near Babylon. That was just an incredible day. Glass smooth surface swim.Drop down to 100 feet and go west for almost 40 minutes when we hit some current. Came up to 70 and a dreamlike drift back to where we started from. Have always loved this pristine wall.

Saw loads of Lionfish.Never seen one before.Neat looking fish but obviously very unwelcome.

Divetech as always were great. All they asked for was an approximate run time.In return we got complete freedom to do whatever we wanted.

And the Divemistress? Sadly just a flat battery. :D

Attachments

• IL0_2774.jpg
    IL0_2774.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IL0_2334.jpg
    IL0_2334.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 23
  • web-1.jpg
    web-1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 22
  • web-2.jpg
    web-2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 22
  • web.jpg
    web.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Very cool Ian. I've always found DiveTech very accommodating. My last dives there were in Sept, but I didn't see any Lionfish. Sad to hear they were so abundant on your trip.

Awesome, Ian! We dove there at Spring Break (recreational; had the family with me). The diveguides captured four lionfish while there. Love Cobalt Coast and Lighthouse Reef. Looking forward to the next trip down there. Have you ever been to Tec week at the end of August?

Have you ever been to Tec week at the end of August?

Yes,went to TecWeek in 2008 (Only there for 5 diving days rather than 6 due to Hurricane Gustav). Had a great time. Unfortunately it's becoming prohibitively expensive on OC trimix. ($3175 this year) Tekweek.htm

Helium costs on Cayman have apparently gone through the roof in the last couple of years. A set of Al doubles with around 20/25 would have been approx US$160,which is why we went with the unlimited nitrox. (Yes I know ,buy a rebreather and save money :D )

Saw a total of maybe 20 Lionfish. Divetech staff are trying hard to eradicate them,but suspect that will be an uphill struggle. Local paper had a story about an instructor that got stung and nearly lost a finger. Nasty little buggers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom