Cayman Islands damage reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Cayman Islands Damage Report

I have seen a lots of posts on here from folks inquiring about damage in the Cayman Islands.

The above URL is the best source I have found thusfar.

Since I lived there for 5 years we have many friends there & are trying to keep up with it.

I have talked to Ollen Miller of Sundivers a couple of times....he paints a pretty dismal picture. :frown:

We own a condo in GC on the North Sound and were to arrive the day before Ivan hit. You may want to check out www.stormcarib.com; click on Grand Cayman on the left side of the screen and you will be directed to several different boards. The newer posts are very political, but some are still reporting accurate damage reports. The turtle farm survived; so did Divetech at Cracked Conch; East End suffered alot of damage and the South Sound and Boddentown got the worst of it. If you want to view pictures from the island, check out: www.davidolson.com. The pictures say everything. It will be quite awhile before our beloved island will be diveworthy, I'm afraid. If you want any more info, feel free to send me a PM.

Has anyone seen any information on how much damage Ivan inflicted on GC's reefs/dive sites?

DeepBlueDivers:
Hi

I know this is a bit premature but has anyone been diving what has happened to the reefs?

I read a brief report someone snorkeled the reef off Morritt's and said it was virtually unaffected except that there's tons of sand filling in a lot of the former channels.

There's a posting on the Morritt's forum from Cathy Church in which she mentions she'll be diving the Sunset House reef to see the status of the Mermaid. Don't know if that's happened yet.

Hopefully the reefs are in better shape than the island...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom